Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

keyworker

Hello all, i'm new to this but just wanted to know how you manage a key worker system within your nursery. I've got 24 children in my nursery which is attached to a school. There are 3 staff,2 qualified and 1 not. I really want to introduce a keyworker system but unsure how i can make it work. Should i give the unqualified member of staff children or should the two qualified staff split the 24 having 12 each? if you've got key children, do you just observe them ? and not take into account the other children ? eeek please help thanks in advance

I work in a pre-school setting which takes children from the age of 2 years and 9 months. We have lots more staff than you, 6 in most sessions due to the ratio for 2 year olds. In total we have 8 staff members working throughout the week and approximately 48 children attending different sessions with a maximum of 26 in each session. All of our staff members are qualified except for one. The unqualified staff member is a keyworker, but only for one child due to the few hours worked. The remaining children are shared between the other staff according to the hours they work, the supervisor has less key children than most because of additional admin duties. At the moment I am a keyworker for 11 children. We only carry out long observations on our own key children but if we observe something worth noting we mention it to other keyworkers so that they can work with it and document it if necessary.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)