Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Do you allow TV?

steppingstones100

We allow children to watch DVDs and videos at our Out of School club (if they want to!) but have had a couple of complaints from parents about this. There are always plenty of other activities for them to do but if they just fancy flopping in front of a film we let them. Can anyone else please let me know what stance they take regarding use of the tv? Thanks.

Guest sn0wdr0p

My belief is that children should be able watch TV after school just as they would at home. Sometimes after a day at school they just don't want to do much. I reassure parents that it is very unlikely for a child to spend a long time infront of the TV as there are usually too many distractions. We do have film nights as well and the children usually ask for a particular film in advance and we settle down with popcorn infront of a big screen.

We do find that some children can resent having to come here and get jealous of children whose parents are at home every day and letting them watch their favourite show which they are following helps. The TV is in the room where our 6+ children go and there is no TV in the room for the younger ones who in honesty rarely ask for the TV.

As a teacher and a parent who pays a lot of money for 2 children to go to before and after school care (over £300 per month) it niggles me if my children have just watched tv at their club after school. I'm realistic and know children need some chill out time like the rest of us but i would rather them be encouraged into another activity as i like to keep their tv viewing to a minimum. I can totally see where your parents might be coming from. My childrens' club has children ranging from 4-11 every day. If older children are watching their choice of tv is it suitable for the younger ones?

Deb

• 2 weeks later...

At the after school club I run we always had parents complaining about their children watching too much tv. We decided to allow tv after 5pm to limit the amount they watch.

I once had an interesting chat with a special needs teacher who told me tv is essential for children these days. She explained that children have so many activities in their lives and such busy home lives that watching tv was one of the few times thier brains do not have to work. This gives them a chance to relax fully and not think for a while. I am sure that most parents who complain about thier children watching to much tv probably spend most evenings at home watching it themselves!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)