Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Literacy planning

Hi,

I am just looking some advice about literacy planning.

I currently do a weekly lesson plan which has a twenty minute carpet session each day. It starts from a BIg Book at the beginning of the week and by the end of the week we produce a piece of writing e.g. a shopping list or our name or a card (it just depends what our objective/outcome is)

I also do seperate 20 min letters and sounds sessions.

This has always worked thus far but this year I have a class that have such a wide range of abilities. I have some real high flyers (G&T) and some children who really struggle e.g with pencil control, name writing, pencil holding etc. I am just wondering should I include that group in the literacy lesson or have that group work with my TA (shes very good) on seperate literacy skills (like those mentioned above). I obviously differciate the work in the lessons and guided writing I just wonder if they would gain more in a smaller group with extra support.

It would be ideal to have a seperate time each day for them to gain this support but I am just finding all my time is eaten up during the day. Espically when one is meant to be doing guided activities and the other adult managing.

I would love some advice on this!

Apologies if some of this isnt grammatically correct or spelt correctly. Its been a long day x

Wow I could have written this post! Except for the bit about the TA but that's another story. I'd really be interested in seeing what others think too, especially as I'm very aware the teach I'm covering for will be expecting a daily 'sit down and write as a whole class' session when she returns in a couple of months. I don't feel that's appropriate for the range of abilities so I'm currently trying to focus on my higher ability children doing some writing every other day (in adult led activity) but once a week for the others.

I might come back with more thoughts or questions when I'm feeling less "Friday-ish"!

If your 20 minutes carpet session doesn't meet the needs of all your children then they shouldn't all be there. Use your TA to take off a group to work on fine motor control or whatever they need. I rarely have all 30 children together on the carpet for teaching ( I'd be shot by my head! When being observed by my head, if my TA is not teaching too for the whole lesson, I would automatically get satisfactory) my TA takes my MA or LA for each carpet session and then works with groups.

I don't have a daily literacy slot as I do extended phonics sessions daily during which children write either words, captions or sentences depending upon ability. I do a guided writing session once a week where i model writing and all children then sit down in groups and all write with an adult ( I'm very lucky that one slot in the week I have 4 adults due to 2 statemented children ) so we get the writing completed in 1 session.

Deb

We used to have a daily Literacy session but just found that it was a bit dull and not matched to the playful holistic approach of the EYFS. We still have a daily 20 min phonics session with writing outcomes built in but the majority of our reading and writing is now done through cross curricular first hand activities that match the childrens interests. For a class of 30 we split the children into three groups of 10, one with the teacher, one with a TA and one independent.

Staff find this approach much harder to plan for (someone said this week 'how do I get writing into a topic about snow? - but there is always a way) - but the children enjoy it, it makes links across the curriculum and it is good pedagogy. I can't bare 'concrete learning' in Reception classes. Of course you need a headteacher who understands the early years....

Edited by ChrisAR

Thanks for the replies guys. I normally have my TA work with my LA or MA but it mirrors what we are doing on the carpet (something I feel may be too advanced at the minute) I will have a think about what to do. These replies have been helpful.

Thanks xx

...........the playful holistic approach of the EYFS........................the majority of our reading and writing is now done through cross curricular first hand activities that match the childrens interests............ but the children enjoy it, it makes links across the curriculum and it is good pedagogy. I can't bare 'concrete learning' in Reception classes. Of course you need a headteacher who understands the early years....

..........you have summarised what we are up against in our partnership at the moment...........we are trying to introduce what you are talking about here ChrisAR across several school settings (reception and YR1). I will be in touch for tips and ideas if thats okay? Thankyou for sharing!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)