Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Publisher V Word

Just wanted to open out this debate. Been asking about what newsletters people send home and its brought up this topic. I want to get really good at one or the other at the moment I'm kind of in 'Newsletter` limbo!' I've got half a newsletter on word (which I am more confident with but is it just me or does it have its limitations?) and the other half on publisher! Once you get into publisher is it better for this kind of thing? My problem at the moment is that I've got no printer ink at home and when I save my work to print out at work it comes up on the screen all higgledypiggledy. Will this be because I've got Office XP and work is word 98 or is it more to do with the printer its attached to? If I had a copy of publisher at home could it be saved and printed at work or would I find the same problem with with the pictures/tables etc do you think? :o

:) I would be so greatful of some advice

Thanks a lot

Zim

I would vouch for publisher or another DTP programme, it is just so flexible especially when using text and graphics. The templates are really easy to use, you'd proabably find you could use it for lots of work stuff too. ( I don't work ofr microsoft honest!!)

With regards to yor printer problem, it may be you have a different version of Word and that's why it's not reading it, but it should not make too much difference! But I'm no expert. Could you email it to a friend to print for you?

Sorry not much help am i, but publisher is GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEAT !!!!

x

I've never used publisher, so I'm afraid I can't comment. I used to use Serif Page Plus which was great fun but don't have the time nowadays to mess around with that sort of thing. xD I have just handed over responsibilty of the newsletter to the secretary and am having withdrawal syptoms reading these threads. I will have to go and have a lie down .......... :o

Persevere with Publisher it will enable you to produce really good newsletters.

Your printing problem is due to the different versions of word. To overcome this, when saving your work, choose 'Save As' from the drop down file menu, click on the down arrow to the right of the 'Save as type' and select the version to match the specification (or lower) of the version of word on the computer attached to the printer.

I use publisher a lot and find it easier to use graphics with text. I also find it best for photo's, when I try to put photo's in a word doc it then has to be changed to "through" to enable text to go round it.

I have, however been inspired by the word newsletter in the other topic and will try and spend some time getting to grips with more advanced word tools. This is because I want to email my newsletter to my parents and I think more people have word than publisher programmes at home.

I have had some trouble downloading the example word newsletters though :o

Word versus publisher...Publisher I find is better for manipulating layout, word I find is better for distributing to parents.......so inconclusive..........the debate goes on. :D

Peggy

Thanks everybody. I will perservere. Thanks Jenet-its funny someone at work had just given me the same 'save as 'advice earlier this evening!! (advice like buses!) thanks alot

I love Publisher, so much more flexible. I've just got my laptop from my new school and was so pleased to see Publisher on it! Means I can do work on my PC here but print at school on their laser printer = saves my ink!!

Peggy,

Just a thought have you considered getting adbe PDF creator, you can then convert your file, be it publisher, word or whatever for anyone to read. If they don't have adobe reader they can down load one for free.

Hi Jo,

Yes, I did think of PDF Creator but a long time ago, a bit above my budget :o

Have you got it? if yes, how much and is it easy to use?

Peggy

I do have it Peggy, can't say how much it cos though. Its very easy to use you create it by going to print and selecting PDF creator it then adapts the document to PDF and you can save to where ever you need to. As easy as that.

I have no idea how much it cost though, it's great for sending things out to people who don't have the same software.

Jo

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
:D So glad to hear that lots of people like publisher. i am the only person in my school who uses it. :( I love it and find it very easy and logical. Unfortunately the othe teacher I now work and plan with only uses word and cant access my publisher docs that i email to her. :o It's very frustrating but at least I am learning to use word a bit more. Anyway I feel happier knowing that there are other publisher users. I was beginning to feel a bit of a freak! xD

Feeling really pleased with myself, just finished our March newsletter using Publisher, which some great stuff in it as evidence of working with parents, inclusion etc but it took me 3 hours to do it. Hope someone reads it!!

Deb

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)