Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Writing ideas in Reception?

Hi can I ask what people are doing regarding writing activities in Reception classes. Anyone any new ideas for guided writing and independent tasks. Don`t fancy doing a big book next week.

Thank you

I have just come on here to ask the same question ! I have a spread of children who are able to write some words independently and others who can barley hold a pencil. I have been focusing on activities (oats, rice, cornflour) etc. for my LA to develop fine motor skills but it is my mid-range children I struggle finding independent writing activities for. Any suggestions also gratefully received. Thank you

Hello, I was finding this with my year R's too. Independently they are reluctant to choose writing particularly MA/LA. I sorted the chn by groups and interest and for one week did intro activities with an adult e.g. I had a group of girls into fairies so a fairy was writing to them to organise her party and they had to reply. I then had a fairy box in the classroom for them to check independently and see what writing challenges hid inside. Fairy also sent them pretty pencils! Did the same with a deadly sixty group and a Ben ten group. I did wonder if after the week of doing it with the adult they would keep it up but due to excitement they did. I had also told them that it was a secret and they couldn't tell friends about it as fairy/Ben ten only wanted their help and they had special club member cards! With different abilities I changed challenges e.g. Ben Ten group were teaching Ben to use phonics so only did CVC words, fairy group writng captions and deadly sixty labels. Hope this helps

Edited by lulubelle

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)