Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Mindstretchers - Talking and thinking floorbooks

Hi,

I have recently purchased and read the Mindstetchers book on Talking and thinking floorbooks as I want to develop this idea further with my class.

I, sort-of, do this already - we have umbrella 'themes' (SMT like this!) and talk to the children about the idea e.g. last half-term we did 'night-night' and then planned activities with the children around what interested them in this theme. Currently, we record this on a large sheet for each key group, display and then make a display around the mind-map of what we have learnt. So I think the floorbooks would be a way of extending this further.

Has anyone had any experience of using floorbooks, and what worked best for you? I particularly like the idea of a 'Talking-tub' which could then be displayed on the exploration table or '3D mind-mapping' - just making it all more visual and tactile.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks

Green Hippo x

Hi we were lucky to ahve a wonderful day training with Claire from Mindstretchers on use of floor books. We have adapted the idea and use it for children to plan ideas to be used in our creative area. Due to set of 2.5 day delivery in our nursery we found that the project approach didin't work as well.

The children write their own ideas into the floor book and then this is transferred onto a large sheet which includes the other 3 family group ideas - the member of staff supporting learning in the creative area can use this planner as a way forward for children's learning.

It is a lovely way to see progression in writing too! Also I like that it gives children a 'voice'

• Like 1

Hi green hippo,

I have been using the talking and thinking floor books (having had the inspiration day training with Clare too!), we use the talking tub approach with real items to encourage children to share their ideas, each key person group have their own book which is shared with the children on a regular basis. One thing I wouldn't recommend would be buying the mindstretcher floor books (we bought them when they were on offer 3 for price of 2) because having used them for nearly a yea,. the spiral rings through the book have come away (this was not long into using them) and storage of them (double A3 size) is a problem. I would go for hardback covers (have seen them in the Works) in A3 size, although the bigger books are better for group of children, next Sept will buy new ones when present children have moved up to school. It is a wonderful way of gathering children's views and giving them a voice in your practice too (children so far have fedback on snacks, the outdoor area as well as lots of 'topics', we tend to follow children's interests at the time.

Thanks!

So, just checking I've understood everything properly: there is a new book for each 'topic'. We start with a collection of items or photographs and allow children to offer their ideas, recording their ideas/gestures/actions - either into book or on thought bubbles. We then decide on a line of development around what is interesting the children most by asking a further question etc?

We then record in the book as each interest or idea develops around topic.

The ideas are then followed in a range of ways - through adult-led/adult-initiated activities and adults supporting further child ideas relating to over-arching 'theme'?

Is this right?

Green Hippo x

Mindstretchers is fantastic. We use the floorbooks at our Nursery and I attended the same training as Apple. You are welcome to PM me if you wish. Where are you based? Claire is an inspirational speaker!!

Edited by surfer

We make our own floorbooks too - large sheets of good quality A1 held together we elastic treasurer tags so that we can add more pages. We have lots of pre cut speech bubbles for the children write and then stick into the book or sometimes they just draw their own bubble. The children draw a portrait of themselves to stick on the front of the book (usually tough card cover) and then we cover this with sticky back plastic for extra durability

Mindstretchers is fantastic. We use the floorbooks at our Nursery and I attended the same training as Apple. You are welcome to PM me if you wish. Where are you based? Claire is an inspirational speaker!!

Hi Surfer. I have taken you up on your offer of pming you! Any extra info would be great.

Thanks

Green Hippo x

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all!

So we are 3 weeks into our first proper Floorbook and I'm struggling a bit with actually developing and putting together the FLoorbook.

So far we have 3 mindmaps which were created from children's talk about a collection of objects. We have then used the questions and ideas in our planning - to plan both adult-led activities and enhance areas in the classroom.

But, I haven't actually done anything with the Floorbook itself. Do I include the mindmaps at the beginning then create a page/s for each idea or question? For example, do I create a page headed "Can we turn ice different colours?" then include photos and comments of the activities that children were involved in around this question?

Then create a new page for the next idea/question.

Am I right in thinking that we include all linked things that happen in the setting - both during child-intiated activities and teacher-led activities?

Thanks for you help

Green Hippo x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)