Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Mothers Day assembly

Guest Anje

Hi all, I know this is very early, but my class assembly falls around mothers day. Has anyone got any good ideas or have an assembly they have done previously that I could use as a starting point? My class is Reception, and I have some really good readers and singers!

Thanks in anticipation

Anje x

Snap! Except I don't have good singers. Really need to get thinking about mine too so if I come up with anything I'll post again but I'd also appreciate some inspiration in the meantime.

We have a Foundation Stage Mothers' Day Tea each year, so slightly different in that the rest of the school don't watch, held towards the end of an afternoon session. All the children part-time and full-time are invited on that afternoon.

We chose a theme which is not usually anything to do with 'mothers', more topic based. Last year our theme was 'Spring' and the previous year it was 'Water'. The children learn some songs and poems which we perform in the communal area - one or two for Nursery, one or two together and Reception usually recite a poem together on the theme with actions. That bit is actually very very sweet.

Two or three of the Reception children act as 'master of ceremony' doing the welcomes, thank yous etc.

The adults come back to the classrooms and sit at the tables for 'tea' - biscuits and sandwiches, no hot drinks though! The children give their own adult a gift/card that has been made at school, often a primrose that the child has potted up and nurtured for a few days with an elaborate gift card attached (then help the adults eat the biscuits!)

Although we call it Mothers Day tea, adults other than mothers come - dads, nanas, au pairs, aunties. Usually every child has an adult there but if not some of the TAs from KS1/2 come along and make a fuss of the spare children and help them prepare their gift to take home.

Our guests are very appreciative and the children get to go home a little bit early that day! Hurrah!

What a lovely idea. Might be a bit too much of a departure for my school but I'm filing that one away for the future - thanks.

Hi, I also have a class assembly around Mothers Day. I am copying an idea from my son's school when they had a mothers day assembly/afternoon tea last year. The assembly was the whole of KS1 and Reception but I think some of the ideas could be useful....

I am going to try and fit words to well known songs for eg. singing to Wind the Bobbin Up...My mum is the best, my mum is the best, hug, hug, kiss, kiss, kiss...(just off the top of my head!!)

Then I thought I could ask sets of the children to think of....

Mummy maths: Kindness + good cook = My lovely Mum, Funny + pretty = My super Mum

Describing Mummy: My mummy is pretty, My mummy is clever and kind...etc..

Show pics of their mummy: show art work

Finish the sentence: "I love my mummy because..."

Mummy Metaphors: "My mummy is like a hot chocolate with marshmallows"

After the assembly each child can lead their mummy/nanna etc to the classroom to enjoy a tea and a slice of 'schoolmade' cake...I will have little cake stands, table cloths, little flowers in vases and individualised place mats and if I have time (?!) a card and pressie made by the children. I will put up a slide show of the children baking and making and being busy in school on IWB with some music.

I know some of the ideas are a bit twee but us Mummy's need to be told these things and to melt at the sweetness of our children (even if it's shortlived!!!)

Good luck....I know I will need it....I'm actualy wondering now if I'll be managing to coordinate all of this....!! :blink:

Rx

Guest tinkerbell

we do a similar KS1/R mothers day assembly where the children sing songs for their mums and then serve them a bun and juice. We take lots of photos of the children and their mums for the learning journals and school news. It is always appreciated and the parents get a chance to mix and mingle too.

I'm also moving to the idea of describing mummies. We are doing lots of work on using describing language and it is actually going quite well (cue me looking a bit confused and surprised!). I was thinking we might do lots of describing and turn it into a bit of a poem with different lines read by different children and some art work held up to illustrate our points. Feel I might also need a nice song about mums too. Any ideas?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)