Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

West Sussex Developmental Records

Are there any other forum members who work in a West Sussex school ? If there are you might be able to help me. We use the west sussex developmental record and not the Foundation Stage Profile booklet, is this compulsary in west sussex or just a matter of choice? Most of our children come up from playgroups with the developmental records and we continue them but we were thinking of looking into using the e-profile. Can we use both or are we duplicating the work load? Is anyone else in the position of their LEA having their own version of a profile?

Although the FSP booklet is optional the FSP (making judgements in the 13 scale points) is statutory at the end of YR. Any passed up developmental records should be based around children’s attainment in the Stepping Stones to be most effective and useful

I know this may sound strange but is the West Sussex and East Sussex developmenal records likely to be the same? The reason I ask is we have had a child transfer to us in Suffolk from East Sussex with a profile type document. I personally liked it I think it is more parent friendly than the profile booklets (that we have stopped using) But and the big but, is that it is worded differently to the E profile that we use and therefore we are not going to continue using it, we have read it and will keep it with his other records but it would be quite difficult to map the different statements.

I also have a copy of the profile documents from West Berkshire which is really lovely, it provides assessment criteria prior to the stepping stones it begins with pebbles, then stepping stones followed by the goals, they include phots and other anecdotes as well as ticking profile statements.It would be a lovely document to keep.

Having reread this I'm concerned you may think I am some kind of anorak who collects profile documentation honest I'm not!!!

Sharon

• 2 months later...

Hi Gill,

Just spotted your post, maybe you already have the information you are after. I'm in West Sussex too and the impression I have is that County are very pro people using the Early Years Profile document, but that it is not compulsory. As long as the profile is completed and data returned to County that is OK. You have to show evidence of tracking children through Stepping Stones and ELGs at moderation. Have you tried contacting Pam Mundy the Early Years Advisor? She is based at WAPC in Chichester, she is very helpful. Last year she and her team were working on a version of an eprofile, I haven't heard any more about it recently so am not sure what's happening on that.

Angela

Hi longwayround,

I would love to help more but I am afraid I got the document from a friend who lived in the area. Its full title is

The West Berkshire Foundation Stage Profile

Pebbles - Stepping Stones - Early Learning Goals

It has been written by Early Years advisors and Practitioners from West berkshie.

Hope someone with better IT skills than me can point you in the right direction.

S

I work in West Berks!!! You can download the Pebbles profile form the west berks website its www.westberks.org if you click on the early years page its there somewhere!

I work in West Berks!!! You can download the Pebbles profile form the west berks website its www.westberks.org if you click on the early years page its there somewhere!

43071[/snapback]

I tried because it sounds like something really good, but i couldn't access it. You seemed to need a password to access it.

am i right or just stupid_although i wouldn't discount the latter at the moment!!

ACB

Are there any other forum members who work in a West Sussex school ?  If there are you might be able to help me.  We use the west sussex developmental record and not the Foundation Stage Profile booklet, is this compulsary in west sussex or just a matter of choice?  Most of our children come up from playgroups with the developmental records and we continue them but we were thinking of looking into using the e-profile.  Can we use both or are we duplicating the work load?  Is anyone else in the position of their LEA having their own version of a profile?

37486[/snapback]

Hi - I'm Pam Mundy, General Adviser for Early Years in West Sussex! The WSD Record is a non statutory document However, it has been very well received by lots of settings, as it follows the children's learning journey from the beginning of the Foundation Stage to the end of Reception and into Year 1 - and you certainly wouldn't need to double up and/or use any other document!

We are also just completing publication of an electronic tracking document to be used as a strategic tool for following children's progress over time/across groups and classes. If you are interested, please feel free to contact me at Western Area Professional Centre in Chichester, West Sussex!

Pam x

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Pam I actually met and talked to you about this at a course recently and although I am leaving school at Christmas I have actually passed on to the SMT the information I had from you about the tracking system so hopefully it will be used and be of great help. Thanks for replying

Hi Pam

is there any way you can leave me an email address or something- as I have tried ringing you- but must have the wrong number or something.

I am feeling really fed up- our FSP results are through and my setting is higher than nationally for pse and dispositions and attitudes to learning. I think this is a good thing- we are a FSU and the children are very happy and settled. We were moderated- very successfully, and I did flag this up at the time, and was told that the team were excellent and the children were calm ,enjoying and achieving etc, despite being in poor area socially , economically etc.

I have now been told that the children cannot sustain this, so that my profiles must be somewhat flawed- I disagree, and feel that th creativity is being knocked out of the kids as they pass through the school- don't really want to go into that here, but I'm really stressed and low and feel like resigning.

I would really appreciate some adice on tracking and assessing if possible. Thanks

Hi there,

Longwayround, I think you have highlighted a bit of an issue here.

I too sent a child into K.S.1 attaining highly in this area, only to see him a few months later lacking in what he had been doing independently for most of the previous year. I think that the curriculum that has been imposed on K.S.1 is not compatible ( yet!) to sustaining and building on the achievements of some children. The children are not as involved in decision making about their own learning and it is not always as physically active and this leads to demotivation for some. Attitudes and dispositions can be lost or gained even as an adult.

The new move to 'Continuing the Learning Journey' may help with this.

So I don't think your judgements are wrong at all.

Perhaps others comments will help to reassure you.

Lynda

Thanks Lynda.

I know all of that really but it is nice to be assured, so thank you.

I just feel that my own teaching and professional judgements are being questioned - unfairly- by people who actually don't have a clue about FSUs and how they work. Had been led to believe that my practice, especially assessment, tracking etc. was excellent- but it is still only my first year in this setting, and I am now questioning my abilities as a teacher. I feel really fed up - so thanks for the kind words. Feels like I am in a no win situation.

KS1 teachers trained in recent years don't necessarily know a lot about play and can find trying to understand the FSP rather overwhelming. Resources and space - especialy outdoors - can also be limited in KS1. But don't give up! For the sake of your pupils, know that at least while they are with you they will get the education they need. This forum is great for reassurance, so please keep using it for support.

Not really the Y1 teacher that is my problem, we have a similar ethos- and she continues FS into Y1 as much as she is 'allowed'- already the LEA are interpreting my profiles into outcome predictors for Y6 SATS.\ I do know this is par for the course- but I can't win- I'm doomed if my kids do badly, and I'm doomed if they achieve. It's really getting me down :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)