Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sen Statements

Hi

Just wondering whether anyone else is finding that full time statemented hours are hard to get.

We have a downs child just started who has been given 25 hours - we requested 30 to cover luch times as well as class times. We were told we were lucky to get 25 hours and to be 'creative' with our cover. :o

This child needs constant supervision (developmentally about 18 months) he is spoon fed, in nappies, hits, bites, kicks other children at the drop of a hat, not to mention escaping. This is in a foundation class of a mainstream primary school. Also our school had to apply for the statement and say why we needed the hours (how does that work when we hardly know the child?) xD

However last year I had a child with complex SN who was given 30 hours and has again got 30 hours this year - even though he is far more capable than this new child - I know his parents fought for it, but so are these new parents.

Does anyone have any similar experiences?

Jo

Probably won't be much help but as SENCO as well as FSCORD i spend my life fighting for children!!! We have an aspergers child who we wanted more hours to cover lunchtime but had to fund it through school. There should be a small amount of delegated funding for SEN in your main school budget but this is probably aready being used. We found that parents have far more power than schools (Usually cos LEAs don't want to be taken to tribunal) so asking the parents to appeal as well usually helps - i even given help writing letters and stuff just to get support for children. It a very frustrating process and takes such a long time that you'll propbably get something when the child is Year 2 and failed enough!!!! Sorry not to be more help but as you can see i find it very annoying that children are left to fail until you can prove they are 'bad enough'. By which time the children are completely disaffected and the other parents have labelled them as naughty :o

As a pre-school supervisor I have in the past managed to get a few children statemented before school age but it has been so hard. Parents have to be so pushy and positive. This is often hard when they may be feeling exhausted by looking after a child with special/ particular needs. I know money is tight in this area but I sometimes feel that practioners do all possible to help the child and family only to be let down by the L.E.A.

Parents of statemented children who keep in touch tell me that disputing their childs allotted hours is very usual throughout their school life.I think this is very depressing especially as we all have to be trained and vigilant to detect any problem a child is having. Medical science has improved so much to enable very premature babies to survive now but there isn't always the funding to help them with their particular needs at school.

Hi

Seems to be a growing trend. Last year I had a child with Cerebral Palsy who was confined to a wheel chair and needed constant attention for her physical needs. The school was allocated 50% support. This year I have a child with physical problems and is in the autistic spectrum and no support at all.

Thanks for your replys - I have spoken to the SENCO and Mum today and we're going to try again for the extra hours as another school in the area has had the same problem (statements not being sent out until half way through the holidays despite contant badgering and lunch times not covered for similar children). They have managed to get the extra hours for their two children. It just makes me so annoyed that these children are being let down. They want them to go to a mainsteam school but won't give them the support when they are there.

Jo

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)