Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Calculating annual leave

Hi all,

I am in a new job (since September) and salaried, working full time Mon-Thur 8-6, as requested by the setting at my interview. Suits me very well to have a three day weekend! The setting closes over Christmas until 3rd January and I have requested holiday until Monday 14th. They tell me that this will be 9 days from my 2013 leave allocation, but I am not sure how this has been calculated and it seems a lot to me. I know there are different ways to calculate part-time employees, but I am not part-time. Any ideas?

Thanks

I would go back and ask how they have calculated it... the days counted as leave should be working ones only, for it to be 9 days they have included the weekend and your day off as annual leave days..

as you work Mon - Thursday .. I would calculate it as 5 working days off, so 5 days annual leave.. suppose way around it is to request the individual days you want off and tell them the days you will be off rather than a block of days.. ( my Husband works 4 days a week and does it that way, says the dates he want off not by the week but by the days)

I am assuming the work annual leave from Jan to Dec as a year.. what about all the leave you are due from Sept to Dec.. have you taken it? if not suggest you ask about that too...

Edited by Inge

Double check whether you are required to use holidays while the setting is closed as I make it 9 if you do.

24/12

25/12 & 26/12 bank holidays

27/12

31/12

1/1 bank holiday

2/1

3/1

7/1

8/1

9/1

10/1

Hope this helps

that would make sense.if it includes the Christmas closure time... but needs checking about which year it is taken from.. and when a year starts.. is it from when you started, or do all have a year end at same time.. ask... all places do it differently..

Thanks for your replies. Yes, Inge, I have taken the days accrued from my start date. Common sense would suggest doing as you say, Inge and requesting days as individual days. I am sure there are many ways round it but I need to ensure I get the best one! The setting is closed from 21st December until 3rd January.

SamG it is only the 2013 days that are counted, so 1/1/13 bank holiday, 2, 3 January, plus four days from following week, which looks like 7 to me. However, counting the Fridays (4th and 10th) would make it 9. It is all so confusing!

Phoebe123

Looks lie they have not taken into account the 4 days worked instead of 5 , i would aks for set days or if a week off for the 4 days worked rather than give a block of dates,, hubby found they could not cope with it unless he did i that way!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I am very pleased to say that, following a discussion with others in the same boat as me (luckily not too many) our manager has decided that the previous calculation was a little unfair to those of us working full time, but only for four days. So, I have four more days of holiday to take next year!!! Thanks for your helpful advice :)