Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

So Nervous, But Excited Too

Ok guys, had to write this down somewhere and share with others.

I start a new job tomorrow in a SLD/PMLD school and I'm so nervous but also so excited!

I can't wait for my new challenge and to get to know the kids and work with them and my team of fabulous TAs. It's going to be so different after being used to working with near 30 kids and lucky to get another adult in the room compared to 8 children with 3 full time TAs plus various therapists working with my class.

To anyone else starting a new job, all the best!

Nich

xx

i start a new job tomorrow, have to travel half an hour to get there compared with 10 minutes.Am so scared , how do i cope with being in my car for that stressful journey? Will love the teaching but not the travel.Any good ideas please? :o

Yes, tune in all your preset radio stations, make some good tapes up or your favourite CDs if you're lucky to have a CD player and just enjoy it! I had a 30 minute commute in a morning and about an hour in the evenings for 18 months.

Oh and thanks guys for your messages! I can't sleep I'm so nervous/excited/whoknows!

Will keep you posted!

Edited by Nichola

Hi Nichola,

1st day done, who was more nervous than you then?????

What lucky TA's and Children they are, to have you work with them.

Joanna, I love to play the classic "My perogative" and the more recent anthem" I Like the way you move" at FULL BLAST just as I pull up for work, they really energise me.

but....it is my 1st day of leaving my baby (my business) in the capable hands of a new manager. I expect the feelings I am going through today are like the ones all the mothers and fathers are feeling on their childs 1st day at preschool or school....quiet empty house...lost...and not sure what to do with myself. It's like the first time you haven't got the pram or buggy to push (or lean on). The feeling that something is missing...

Still, I have lots to do though to keep busy...just need to decide what to do first. :o

Peggy

i start a new job tomorrow, have to travel half an hour to get there compared with 10 minutes.Am so scared , how do i cope with being in my car for that stressful journey? Will love the teaching but not the travel.Any good ideas please? :o

37306[/snapback]

Hope everything went well and you had a chance to enjoy the day and werent too stressed by the travel.

I've had a great day- no kids yet- not until Wednesday. I've spent the day getting to know my TA team (fantastic bunch!) and learning what they have to say about my kids.

Spent lots of time arranging dinner (god that's a nightmare!) plus sorting a few things out. The deputy has basically said, if I need her during any lesson time, then to just call her and she'll come as long as she's not in a meeting. How fab is that?!

Got another training day tomorrow at the SLD/PMLD Secondary school about teaching maths to children with PMLD. Should be interesting!

Then Wednesday in come the kids. I can't wait but I'm nervous as hell too!!

Hi Nichola,

I know how you feel - I start my new job in a nursery tomorrow too and am excited but nervous. Good luck with the children - my husband worked in a similar school in the Yorkshire Dales and really enjoyed it.

Have fun :)

As usual I'm late for this post, but I just wanted to wish everyone well for their first days in new jobs, good luck for those feeling nervous about new jobs, and the fervent wish that those with the "empty nest feeling" will soon be so busy they won't know how they went to work in the first place!

Maz

As usual I'm late for this post, but I just wanted to wish everyone well for their first days in new jobs, good luck for those feeling nervous about new jobs, and the fervent wish that those with the "empty nest feeling" will soon be so busy they won't know how they went to work in the first place!

Maz

Thanks everyone! No kids till tomorrow and had a rather dull day being talked at about Ofsted and what they look for when they come to do an inspection in a SLD/PMLD school. Was interesting for a while, but I started to switch off and just think about what the hell I'm going to do with my class!!!

Well I survived day 1 with the kids! Had a fabulous day, sang songs, played outside, did drawings, spent most of the afternoon toileting!! But I've had such fun and my class are adorable. Only problem now is that my reccuring knee injury has shown its ugly head for the 1st time since last year. My knee hurts so much to bend it or put weight on it. I didn't realise till the kids had gone just how much it hurt! Lets hope I can sort that out and it doesn't hurt like it is now every day!!

Feel like I've been taking info in all day about physio, speech therapy, changing kids, hoisting kids (although I can't do that until I've done my training) etc etc!

Looking forward to tomorrow morning's soft play session, although I may have to stay with the majority of them that can't go in the soft play for whatever reason.

Roll on tomorrow!

Cant believe i have only done 3 days, so much to learn and take in.The journey is still the worst part and the tiredness.Enough moaning, the children and staff are great.I hope I get more energy from somewhere .I do think the first week is the hardest.Do you agree?

Glad you have enjoyed it so much Nichola - sounds fab! I hope your knee recovers soon :)

Joanna the first week is hard especially after a long summer holiday - gets better when you and the children are all in a routine. Try to have at least one of the weekend days for yourself to recharge your batteries rather than doing school work.

Joanna the first week is hard especially after a long summer holiday - gets better when you and the children are all in a routine.

37463[/snapback]

I'll second that. I think my brain turns to jelly during the holidays. I feel as if I'm trying to walk through porridge at the moment. Must get an early night tonight.

I hope your knee recovers in double quick time, Nichola.

I hope you soon get to grips with the travelling, Joanna

Megsmum: how are you getting on?

Maz