Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

tracking advice nursery

just completed initial assessments of children and worried about showing progress through writing strand by end of year. we have a few children who 'sometimes give meaning to marks as they draw and paint', 30-50 months band, so would you consider this to be emerging or consolidating? as there are only 2 statements it could be argued that it's consolidating? but by end of year they would be expected to make a years progress so it looks like they should be achieving half the dm statements for 40-60 months but this looks extremely challenging for a child to go from scribbling and ascribing meaning to marks to achieving half of these. am worried at end of year i will be told by head that these children have not made enough progress in their writing. any advice desperately sought x

Edited by sooty99

I only track and record the age band they are totally secure in - if I have to ask the 'might be' or not sure question they don't go into that band as they are still emerging. It is a good idea to look at the next band up as you do- because it can be too large a leap - and if you are in Nursery they have another year to reach the top of 40-60mths so I would keep them in 22-36 for now - and move them up when they are secure in ascribing meanings on a regular basis and maybe writing a few identifiable letters/shapes . :1b

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)