Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Interactive Literacy Table Top Area

Hey guys. I feel that I could do with a holiday about now - the time and energy I've put into sorting my room out from scratch over the last couple of weeks has taken it's toll !!!

Am enjoying myself though! Was wondering if any of you had any exciting new ideas for a literacy interactive table top display? I'm working round my classroom slowly and have enjoyed being cross curricular in my areas so far i.e. music area with counting songs going on. Got to the literacy table today which is usually my strong point and I've drawn a blank! Literally - it's a blank cupboard top at the minute! Thought I'd leave my head to do some thinking this weekend - was wondering if you had any out of the ordinary stuff that could go with my great new layout!!??

P.S New Head seemed impressed with how I've set it up and commented that he'd heard that I had put a lot of effort in - made up for the fact that the FS co who I have the pleasure of sharing the room with had nothing but gripes when she came in and saw it today. She literally accused me of stealing her ideas (even though we haven't talked or seen each other since July!!!) and using the props that she was going to use (even though they usually aren't brought out until a teacher is leading an activity with them!!!!). Oh well, am sure I can get through now that I'm the boss of my own side of the room (we'll see how long that plays out!).

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!

xxx

Dear Gater,

How about a book that links with your theme and props to retell story?

Last year I tried this in the nursery - some stories were more sucessful than others and some were very easy to assemble from stuff around the room.

Peace At Last we focused on sounds -we had different objects to make sounds (like an alarm clock,) and taped sounds like snoring, fridge humming for children to match to objects, (does that make sense-I don't think I'm very clear today!)

Added sentences on speech bubbles attached to straws children liked picking up 'Oh no, I can't stand this' and all the 'noises', 'snuffle,snuffle' etc as they retold the story. Also had some words and letter symbols for matching, this was a bit haphazard and I possibly have now bred children who think snuffle snuffle reads snore snore the emphasis was very much on imitating reading behaviours when this was a child initiated activity!

Children drew/painted pictures of story to sequence as back ground, added captions (adult scribed), taped story and relocated role play area so children could move seamlessly between areas. (Yeah right)We had objects (plane, alarm clock, cat etc) to match to words nyaow, brrring, etc.

Also used photos of these from lotto game to sequence in order. Put reources in labelled baskets and limited activities to one at a time as I found this worked best with children I had last year

Three Billy Goats Gruff, Chimp and Zee, Mr Wolf's Pancakes, Handa's Surprise and Can't You Sleep Little Bear also worked well. This year I will take photos!

Is this the sort of thing you meant!!!?

Barb

How about a Question sign up board ... ?

You can put a question at the top e.g. 'Which birthday card do you prefer ?' Then make 2/3/4 columns with e.gs of the cards and the children have to sign up under their favourite.

I've used this as a permanent question board with a different question every week with a visual stimulus ... and the answer can be their name or a word from a selection you have given. e.g. 'Write the name of your favourite colour" etc..

hope this makes sense ... you can connect it then to your topic, the weather, visitors, festivals etc.

Hope this is of some use !

Good luck with your new room arrangement

Galleon :o

Hey guys.  I feel that I could do with a holiday about now - the time and energy I've put into sorting my room out from scratch over the last couple of weeks has taken it's toll !!!

Am enjoying myself though!  Was wondering if any of you had any exciting new ideas for a literacy interactive table top display?  I'm working round my classroom slowly and have enjoyed being cross curricular in my areas so far i.e. music area with counting songs going on.  Got to the literacy table today which is usually my strong point and I've drawn a blank!  Literally - it's a blank cupboard top at the minute!  Thought I'd leave my head to do some thinking this weekend - was wondering if you had any out of the ordinary stuff that could go with my great new layout!!??

P.S  New Head seemed impressed with how I've set it up and commented that he'd heard that I had put a lot of effort in - made up for the fact that the FS co who I have the pleasure of sharing the room with had nothing but gripes when she came in and saw it today.  She literally accused me of stealing her ideas (even though we haven't talked or seen each other since July!!!) and using the props that she was going to use (even though they usually aren't brought out until a teacher is leading an activity with them!!!!).  Oh well, am sure I can get through now that I'm the boss of my own side of the room (we'll see how long that plays out!).

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!

xxx

37241[/snapback]

How about an alphabet train..........

Children order the carriages alphabetically or

add a collection of small objects to sort. The children put objects beginning with the same sound in the carriage

Along similar lines, magnetic alphabet and board.

Magnetic fishing games - either fish for letters or words/objects.

Later in the year you could use high frequency words and CVCs to encourage the children to come and make "a silly sentence" (I've done this both on a washing line and on a magnetic board).

Picture/word lotto

Alphabet jigsaws

Jolly phonics jiglets

White boards and pens (come and write your name?)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)