Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

still doing literacy/numeracy 'hours'?

Hi,

Just wondering how people were managing timetables? are you having adult led maths and literacy every day? trying to get my head around having a good balance of activities and would be interested to see how everyone else manages this.

At the moment i tend to have 2 days where we focus on literacy and do guided writing etc but on these days we have a numbertime session focussing on key skills and still have an independent activity in the maths area. then have 2 days focussing on maths activities. i teach phonics and guided reading every day too so they are always doing some form of literacy based learning.

would be grateful if anyone else could share!

Hi I do daily phonics and guided reading and daily Maths. I have all children engaged with activities connected to the objective either adult supported or independent. I also do 2 guided writing sessions per week so that all children have done some writing with an adult ( just names at the moment) all my afternoons are child initiated with usually an adult guided UW or creative. Enhanced provision for the afternoon builds on the objectives taught in the morning.

Deb

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I am very similar to both of you. I complete literacy focussed adult leds (with links to other areas if applicable) on a mon and tues morning and afternoon in addition to my daily phonics. I also on these days complete a maths skills session as a whole class (15mins) so they are geting a maths input. And then all areas are catered for in CP. On a Weds morning and Thurs all day and Fri morning I do my maths focussed adult led with a guided write or reading session on these days plus phonics. And on a Weds PM and Fri PM I alternate between UW and EA&D adult focussed. Obviously I always have CP meeting all areas of the curriculum and try to link adult leds with other areas.

With PE/ assemblies and christmas play practice it is very hard to fit everything in - but this way works for us.

I am sure lots of people would disagree with it!!

Emie

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)