Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Fine-motor activities/area?

Hi,

I am getting myself a little bit in a muddle about offering fine-motor development resources and activities and was wondering what others do?

Of course there are many areas in the classroom that already offer resources and activities that support children's fine (and gross motor, of course!) development both indoors and outdoors. And I often put out other additional resources to support this - usually to support the needs of a particular child or group of children. However, I have seen and read about a number of different examples where there appears to be a designated area for fine-motor with differentiated activities to support the different levels of ability.

I was wondering if others have a fine motor area or do you offer additional activities as and when they are needed as informed by obs and assessment? Or have a week where you would focus on this particular skill?

Thanks,

Green Hippo x

Hi, quick reply as need to get going.We have a tuff tray area which often incorporates particular fine motor activities.We use pipettes and tweezers and tongs and pegs etc.This is in addition to ongoing provision of usual tabletop ongoing provision. x

We have busy fingers activities usually in our exploration area as greenfinch said tweezers, chopsticks, beads, seeds and beans, beads on wire, clay(no tools), etc.

We tend to have the same activity all week but varying degrees of difficulty so the children have time to master/practice the skill.....for instance florist blocks, wire and big beads, medium beads and tiny beads for threading, or beans with buckets and jars and scoops and tweezers. HTH

We have a CP sheet for it but they're not displayed....just in a file and its old EYFS

I have off loaded the job of new CP plans(which they're working on) to room leaders as i never have time ;)

To be honest i'm really not fussed if they are up or not it just seems like re writing the EYFS :P

we have a 'busy fingers' area in both nursery and reception classes as part of continious provision. It is on planning and activities change weekly usually with a challenge for recepetion class. before half term it was the golf tees and pumpkins

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)