Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Maternity Cover

I start maternity leave after the holidays and the lady who will be covering me is teaching my class on wednesday whilst I am on a course. She's also coming in over the course of the week to get to know the children.

I've obviously planned the weeks learning but i'm wondering whether you think it would be a good idea to plan in some time for her to do something she wants with them that will help her to plan for the start of next term, such as some time for circle time and chance to do her own activity?

Normally for supply I plan the whole day out meticulously but this is somewhat different!

I really want her to feel confident with the children and how we plan in school etc.

Any advice, or am I over thinking this?

I'm feeling very nervous about handing my class over to someone else when I've just got them all settled down and into a routine etc. TBH I'm feeling very emotional about it all and don't think I'm going to cope very well this week, I'll be fine once I've got my little one but until then I think I will be worrying about school stuff - which is ridiculous because the lady coming in is great, experienced and my fab TA is staying with her so there's no problem just me being silly and getting worked up now its so close.

Lucie

I'm currently on the other side and I am covering a maternity leave. Slightly different situation as the teacher on leave finished at the end of summer, but she invited me in to observe her routine prior to her finishing. Would it be possible for you to leave some time later in the week where she could either plan something or, if she would rather follow your plans, where you wouldn't have to do too much to whip something up? I think you probably are over thinking it but I'm not criticising as I do exactly the same every time I am out of the class and a supply is covering! It's hard not to when you are still getting your class used to a routine. Hope you have a lovely week and try to switch off when you finish and spend some time getting yourself ready for the baby. The class will be fine as I'm sure you know! x

Good advice from Holly. I was going to suggest that you plan the day but nothing that you are desperate to have covered and then she could either follow your plans or do her own thing. Maybe, she could put her own spin on your outline.

Im sure once you are at home. everything will feel much better. Enjoy the maternity leave and the baby. Have you long to wait?

Thanks for the advice, this is what I was thinking, I've planned the progression across the week, to include Wednesday but think I will chat with her tomorrow about what she wants to do.

At the start of next term I'll be 37 weeks, so no not too long too wait really.

:)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)