Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Exhausted By Training Videos

I just sat down and watched the DVDs in the Foundation stage toolkit (every setting is supposed to have one but I think you have to ring up the DfES for it). I feel quite exhausted by watching all the perfect people who all seem to claim that every day they sit down and plan for the learning of all 66 of their children for the next day based on their detailed observations... :o How? xD Am I very stupid? We do observe children but a lot of our focus activities are actually initiated by adults ( :( ), and then the children sometimes take these experiences into their play. We do encourage children to make use of the resources available but sometimes use phrases like 'Don't take it in there Ethel' or 'Not at the moment Ernest'. I am waiting for the thought police to come and throw me out......

Oh well, back to the real world of nursery next week and I won't have time to watch the DVDs any more :(

Seriously, I do think it's important that none of us pretends to each other that we do 3 impossible things each day, or we'll all go quietly mad in our little corners.

My thoughts exactly Horsechestnut. Everything you've said is exactly what I think too - though I still haven't found time to watch the DVDs. I often ask the children not to put the sand on the playdough, or in the water tray, or on the carpet, or on the computer.......

Why are we expected to do impossible things?

Our timetabled observations quite often dont happen because real life gets in the way (staff absence/higher priority jobs that appear from nowhere/something else more interesting or demanding happening/wet pants etc. etc) Our Nursery sessions of 2 and a half hours with 30 children are very busy and it's really hard to find time for 1 member of staff to be released from working with children so that they can work without children. It can be (and must be) done but it's a wrench from what we feel is our natural role of working/playing/talking with children.

Thanks for such an honest and sensible post.

love J

I'm with you too - I ordered and started watching and ended up feeling rather panicky (OFSTED due!!) I have reception and trying to work out the balance between spending time with children doing directed activities (or teaching as the other teachers would say) and observing child initiated play is a minefield. A lot of our observations are done through adult initiated activities too - I have timetabled observation of children playing in the sand for a maths activity but sometimes you spend 3/4 of an hour waiting for them to do something specific when all they want to do is 'play'. :o

Harricroft

fortunately for me my computor won't play DVD's and my son has borrowed mine, so I haven't had the resources to watch it yet :o

Peggy

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)