Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Success Criteria / ICT suite

Hi, can i ask how fellow YR teachers 'do' success criteria for adult led activities. At the moment we tak about the success criteria, which are always 'I can....', at the beginning of an activity and again at the end to discuss whether the chn think they have met them or not. I'm wondering whether others write them up somewhere to refer to during activities etc....

Don't know...it's just something that came up in a key stage (EYFS and 1) meeting this week.

Also, thinking about that meeting, do any other classes go to the ICT suite in their school for a session each week, and if so, what do you do there that you don't/can't do in the classroom?

Lucie

I don't share my success criteria with YR children, as so much of what I do with them could be classed as effective or successful in so many ways. I don't want to limit them by telling them what I am looking for, although I obviously have outcomes for my planning. I do however record successes against other outcomes as sometimes I have not anticipated the way in which the children might interpret the activity. I am similarly reluctant to share the learning outcomes with older children but in some schools I am aware that the children are so used to this it would worry them not to know. I'm also lucky that I'm not required to do this by my head or key stage manager. We don't have an ICT suite but if we did I wouldn't be accessing it during this part of the year unless I wanted to teach a specific skill on the computers and wanted to make sure everyone could do it, as we have access to the laptops in class and use them freely through the day.

I am with holly35 on this. When I do see children who appear to have grasped a concept I will acknowledge it.

Sharing learning intentions is a Shirley Clarke initiative and I am sure I have heard her say there is not and expectation it should be written up but like holly35 I know this is fashionable in lots of schools.

Funny I have taught for over 40 years and never said to a child this is your learning intention and here are your success criteria and lots of children have learned and made progress in my classes over the years!!!

As for the ICT suite I really think that the time and organisation to do this is disproportionate to the benefits and children can learn as much ICT as the EYFS curriculum requires in class and in the outdoor area.

Lorna

excellent, that is exactly what I wanted to hear-thank you! Just had a mini 'am I doing it right' moment in a key stage meeting where I felt like even tho this is my fourth year teaching reception, push from ks1 made me feel a little inadequate.

Thanks again

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)