Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Role Play Help

I have just found out that our nursery will be having a baby clinic that i have been planning for my reception class and now it is back to the drawing board. I know i have posted for ideas before but can anybody think of anything that i could do. My children will be able to use the clinic . HELP !!! :o

Thanks the topic is ourselves. My eyc has suggested an opticians which i think will be good we can have an area in there for making and designing glasses too. I panic too easily. Any other ideas would be gratefully received :oxD

Hello Horsechestnut,

If you wanted to link it to the nursery role play why not have a shop, like a mothercare type shop, with lots of baby things in to buy, catalogues, info about caring for a baby, etc. You could still get the same language, maths, KUW etc as you would with a baby clinic just from a different angle a sit were.

If you have a digital camera that the children can use you could have an instore photographer one day - opportunities for posters, appointments, order forms etc, as well as using IT.

You could link in some DT perhaps, making picture frames, or new toys, something easy like paper shape moblies, decorated felt teddy shapes, what ever fits in, and sell them in the shop. You could stage a "new stock launch" again, lots of language, information writing, etc.

Hope this helps, or perhaps give you some inspiration for other ideas.

have fun and let us know what you decide and how you get on.

Hello ecorri 1

If you wanted to link it to the nursery role play why not have a shop, like a mothercare type shop, with lots of baby things in to buy, catalogues, info about caring for a baby, etc. You could still get the same language, maths, KUW etc as you would with a baby clinic just from a different angle a sit were.

If you have a digital camera that the children can use you could have an instore photographer one day - opportunities for posters, appointments, order forms etc, as well as using IT.

You could link in some DT perhaps, making picture frames, or new toys, something easy like paper shape moblies, decorated felt teddy shapes, what ever fits in, and sell them in the shop. You could stage a "new stock launch" again, lots of language, information writing, etc.

Hope this helps, or perhaps give you some inspiration for other ideas.

have fun and let us know what you decide and how you get on.

36873[/snapback]

That is brilliant, i love the links too. We will be opening up the nursery and reception classes in the afternoon so that will work well :o

Can't find the original site that I got these plans from, but hope you find them useful...

Have removed attachment as I can't verify web source

Edited by Guest

Can't find the original site that I got these plans from, but hope you find them useful...

36934[/snapback]

This is fantastic thanks a million! :):):):)

Hi

We tried something similar last term.

The children all bought in their favourite doll/teddy to be weighed and measured in the "mini Clinic". They made their own Baby books in the lieracy area with pictures of milk/bottles/dummies etc and drew around their dolls for a big painting activity.

The parents got involved by bringing in younger siblings to be weighed and bathed.

hope it helps

goose

Those are ace ASPK. I know you said you don't know where you originally got them from, but if you remember, could you post it? They are really helpful and I'd love to know whether they do any for the other areas i.e. construction, writing area etc.

Another question - how have you used them in the past? As a guidance or have you actually put up a sheet in the area in order to guide adults in there? I was thinking of using them in this way - maybe on a rolling programme where it is up and introduced, and then left for two/three weeks as a prompt (one sheet at a time, linked to the theme I'm working on at the time).

I've never had the opportunity to do planning in this way before - it has always simply been lit and num with the odd creative and KU planning sheet. Adult directed has always been heavy and play has really been seen as something that the children do while the adults are directing. I've got ownership of my own teaching this year (at long last!) and am trying to be organised enough to balance adult directed/initiated with child initiated. To do this I'd really like to be less dependent on the lit/num planning grids and go for more area planning with links that way. As long as I can hit a balance and be comfortable with my own teaching style for a change.

This year it's only going to be me and a NN - there have usually been three of us. This gives me added reason not to simply work Yr 1 style with children being grouped and table based for lit/num coz I simply don't have the staff - and to be honest, I don't like working this way.

Thanks again!

D xxx

Those are ace ASPK.  I know you said you don't know where you originally got them from, but if you remember, could you post it?  They are really helpful and I'd love to know whether they do any for the other areas i.e. construction, writing area etc. 

Another question - how have you used them in the past?  As a guidance or have you actually put up a sheet in the area in order to guide adults in there?  I was thinking of using them in this way - maybe on a rolling programme where it is up and introduced, and then left for two/three weeks as a prompt (one sheet at a time, linked to the theme I'm working on at the time). 

37021[/snapback]

It's very gratifying to be able to give something back to this site after I've taken so much myself :D:oxD

I have always displayed a planning sheet in the role play area, showing key vocab and learning opps in each of the 6 areas of learning, as guidance for helpers, but until I found these plans I hadn't listed key questions.

Edited by Guest

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)