Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

10 minute lesson, 6 nursery boys, writing

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone can give me a little guidance, i've got an interview next week where i need to plan and deliver a 10minute lesson to 6 nursery boys around writing and i have no idea where to start or what their ability level is going to be.

I'm thinking either dinosaurs or superheros but i'm unsure maybe a floor book would that work? any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Jen

BY Nursery I assume you mean 3-4 year olds ? IMO at that age they aren't up to 'writing' per se I would go down the outdoor route of large motor i.e. buckets of water and paintbrushes on walls /floor etc or large chalks outside. If it has to be indoors then again 'large' - a floorbook or large paper is good idea, maybe scribing ideas for them in speech bubbles and getting them to illustrate. Alternatively gloop in a builders tray or sand.

Good Luck. :1b

how about creating a race track or train track on a large piece of paper...lots of questioning etc then start to add all the things around the edge (station/ petrol/ car park etc etc) the great thing about this sort of activity is that you can pitch it to whatever level you are working at so if you have some in the group who can do some letters then great but for all of them they need to work on a large skills. Pirate treasure maps also work well like this. This week had a group of children who don't do drawing normally all engaged for ages

Do you have a chance to get 'write dance in the early years' by Ragnhild A. Oussoren, before your interview?....it is designed for pre-school children and focuses on ensuring children's whole body movements are fully developed before teaching formal writing skills. There is a lovely activity we have just done in our setting and the boys loved it...'the story of a piece of paper'. i've just found a link directly to the activity...but the books are fantastic and I recommend them .http://www.amazon.co.uk/Write-Dance-Early-Years-Pre-Writing/dp/1849201390/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1349517943&sr=1-1 ( page 13). Hope you find this useful.

• Like 1

Thank you for your ideas :) I like the idea of a map or track on paper and then encouraging the children to add things.

Debbie - I've just ordered that book :) i have a week before my interview so hopefully i'll be able to plan something from it!

What about dressing as a pirate and making a pirate treasure map. "i've lost my treasure" There is a book by Julia Donaldson with a nice little rhyme called the Troll. (It about pirate too!)

I saw 6 boys create a brilliant self-initiated activity outside....

they used to crates, planks and material to build two ships 3 boys were on one ship and 3 boys on the other each stating he other was the enemy ship they then got out the playground chalk to write messages by each others ships telling them they were going to attack, lots of recognisable letters in there and also included time and numbers as they wrote how many seconds they would attack in.....not sure how you'd initiate something like this but thought it was a nice example of the type of writing boys engage in :D

• 2 weeks later...

It's D-Day my interview has arrived and I am so nervous!

I've decided to go for a pirate map as i am aware the school has a play pirate ship in their grounds - We have little pirate hats to wear and i've done a basic outline with the pirate ship in the water and a compass in the corner i'm going to encourage the children to add different things to the map including a X to mark the treasure - ive gained ideas through the write Dance book and am going to encourage the children to draw the sea, long wavy grass spotty mud which will encompass all those basic fine motor skills which will support writing further in the year.

I hope this is okay - its really hard planning blind for children you don't know or have never seen! *fingers crossed*

Thanks for all your help

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)