Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Maths/Literacy assessment

Hi!

I have a number of children this year who have come in able to recognise numerals (some beyond 10!), shapes and many letter sounds (yes!...sounds!). Which places them 'officially' in the 40-60 bracket. However, I can't say that their understanding of numbers and shape and literacy skills are in the same league!

Does anyone else find this. I'm assuming that we still apply the 'best fit' method as although those particular elements are at a higher age and stage, their over-all development is lower? (I'm in Nursery by-the-way!)

Thanks,

Green Hippo x

i would put them in lower bracket. it's easy to memorise numerals/letters/shape names. parents feel this is a good thing to do. but to my mind there's no point recognising a number 3 if you have no idea of 3-ness. if you put them too high it will look as if they have made little progress through the year.......... you can indicate this knowledge as well x

I agree. I am in school nursery. Working within 40-60 months is average on entry into Reception so for them to be in 40-60 now at beginning of nursery would make them well above national expectations. Numbers is always easier to score higher in, isn't it. Some letter recog at this stage is good as well so they are obviously bright but working within 30-50 should be able to cover it at tis stage I would have thought. By the time they go into reception, they may well be working well within 40-60 and could place them at the top end of that to reflect their higher ability.

Thanks dreamgirl.

Yes number recognition and often, letter recognition seem to be things that some children seem to score higher in early but as you said, don't actually understand what they mean. I usually have 2 or 3 children who recognise all the letters but find it difficult to hear alliteration etc. Similarly, we often get children who know lots of 'facts' about the world etc but then don't really have an understanding of what it all means - they seem to have learnt these facts in the same way as number recognition or letter recognition!

Thanks, Green Hippo x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)