Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Role Play

i am in reception in september and am thinking really hard about an exciting role play area. The topic is ourselves. I must be thinking too hard as i can't come up with anything. Does anyone have any good ideas for me ????? :D

i'm doing the same topic and am also an NQT. I have been thinking about some of the following: doctor surgery, baby clinic, opticians, dentist, home or shoe shop. I suppose it depends what you will be focussing on each week. I am going to be doing, senses, healthy, babies and handy week.

Thanks I would like to keep the area on a similar theme and just change the focus each week those ideas sound good. I am in my third year of teaching the last two in year 1. :o

I always start with a home corner as this is familiar territory for the children. How it develops then depends on them and their interests.

:):D Hi, we ask the children to bring in `family` photos which are then turned into `The Class Book` the children explain who is in the photo and we scribe their descriptions below the photo. If any of the children can`t or `forget` to bring photos, then they are asked if they would like to draw/paint their family members. The finished `book` is then put into the `Book Corner` and is the most popular item on the bookshelf for at least the first term ( Be warned it is a requirement that teacher and t/a,c/a have to add their own photos aswell !) This `Family Theme ` is continued in the Role Play area ie. Mini house.Kitchen area, lounge area, phones, mobile phones (NOT live ones), the `mini home`. Shortly after this we look at safety and Bonfire night in particular in which we keep the kitchen/lounge but as part of `The Fire Station` theme, we usually incorporate a visit from the Fire Service to emphasise the safety aspect.

I tend to do 'home corner' for the first couple of weeks too for the same reason. Then I tend to develop it further by putting 'a new pet' in, 'birthday party'stuff, a new baby and so on. (sometimes add the three bears or another character) then towards Christmas we put christmas tree in and decorations. I tend to add to it or alongside rather than change the role play area during the first term. Last year I added a woodland tree in autumn which I placed just outside and then on the run up to xmas I made a shop out of quadro and added a toyshop alongside.

The following term I change the theme altogher and make a post office or supermarket. (I tend to change the theme half termly then)

I usually do 'Growing in the summer and we do 'baby clinic' or 'garden centre'

I have gone from struggling for ideas to being spoilt for choice, that is a good idea adding to it, my new children are very 'young' some with quite poor communication skills . :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)