Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Advice Needed On Career

Hello lovely people,

I have been a class teacher for over 13 years, and a very happy school nursery teacher for 3 of those. However whilst I adore my job, when it involves the children I am increasingly unhappy about the way nursery is perceived when it is part of a school and I am seriously considering leaving school teaching and applying to work in a Nursery.

I was wondering if anyone has done this? or if you've employed former teachers? and what level of job should I apply for? I know it would be quite a change in salary and working patterns but I am beginning to wonder if, for my happiness, its worth the cost?

I appreciate any advice that you guys have that can help me make an informed decision,

Lucy hobbit

I am employ two former school nursery teachers who prefer working with the little ones and having the freedom of not having to stay late to attend whole

school meetings. Yes the pay is less than what they used to get, but the hours are more flexible and they only work with a 1:8 ratio rather than 1:15.

I have made one my curriculum manager and the other has done SENCO, so they get a small uplift on the level 3 salary.

Wishing you well if you decide to make the switch.

Edited by Guest

Hi Lucy

can you specify what it is about the way your nursery is perceived by school? does it relate to how the senior management or Governing body value the nursery contribution or is it top down pressure? Are you in a position to alter the perceptions (or have you already tried that?).

I too work in a school nursery. I too have been teaching almost 13 years (qualifying in '99) and have been in nursery 7 years. I love it but there are times when I feel like throwing in the towel too (I've had an awful day - see my post on behaviour obs sheet ;) )...

Times like the beginning of a new academic year, particularly for those of us working in the very earliest stages, are really hard work, frustrating, soul destroying etc... but those emotions do tend to be superseded by the good old awe and wonder of watching the wee ones grow and develop.

So really what I am trying to say is that whatever you do, think really carefully about what is the main reason for a change from one nursery setting to another as most share very similar challenges whether attached to a school or not. Nursery schools have been faced with some really challenges themselves - particularly with funding.

Whatever you decide I wish you a happy outcome :1b

I am a KS2 teacher and after being disillusioned by the pressure of SAts and targets on my lovely children - decided I could no longer work in schools. I now work in a Day Nursery and love my job. It took a while for me to find a position - I had a lot of rejections partly because I was perceived as "over qualified" (possibly a bit scary) I also still get comments from others about why I would want to do this - I admit I often feel I have to justify myself which frustrates me hugely. However in terms of my career this was absolutely the right thing for me to do.

HTH

Kirsty

• Like 1

Like Kirsty I was a ks2 teacher but much prefer what I do now (managing a preschool) despite the fairly dramatic drop in pay, lack of pension etc. I now own my setting so have a lot of autonomy which is an extra bonus. Good luck - I would employ an ex teacher if they wanted to work at my setting and didn't mind the pay cut :)

• Like 1

Hi Lucy, I have worked in maintained settings since 1993 and only ever nursery or reception. I have worked in one form entry two form entry, four form entry!, and a nursery school. There is only one person in a school whose opinion matters about nursery and that is the head teacher. There are heads out there who do get nursery education and there are quite a few more who intellectually know they should get it but don't really. Of the rest of the teachers probably around 10% also get it and another ten who don't but appreciate the children who emerge. Personally I went to a nursery school for exactly the reasons you state- total frustration at the lack of understanding of what we are trying to do. However I found a dedicated setting too insular. It seemed whilst highly enjoyable, too inward looking with little concern about where and what children were going on to.

I was then lucky enough to find both a line manager and head who really did have a commitment to high quality early years practice. As a bonus it had babies and toddlers too, so now I have the best of both worlds and I am now that line manager.

I advise you to seek out a setting in whatever sector where management really value what we do and make the resources available to allow it to happen. Often in the maintained sector you will have to continually make your case as to why nursery is different but at college I was taught that being a passionate advocate for Early Years comes with the territory ( and salary!) We are here to help you with that. However frustrating your situation remember there are other schools where it is not like that so why not start seriously looking. It can often have a transformative effect on your head if you tell them that's what you intend and if not then you are better off looking elsewhere. Supportive schools DO exist.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)