Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Next Steps Or Plods

When I taught in reception two years ago (now in year 2) I had a PLOD (possible lines for development) sheet at the front of each childs learning story. I would update this at least half termly with their key next steps on for each area of learning. I would plan activities based on groups of children sharing silimar next steps and support children in their play with these.

I have discovered that the reception teachers are no longer doing this and I feel we now have nothing in place which shows that we are planning to children next steps and interests. Are people in reception class using these? or how else to do record next steps?

I used to write next steps next to key obs or photos in learning stories (not all but key ones) - as there are changes to EYFS and teachers are new to EYFS I dont want to implement something that is unmanageable (I am EYFS coordinator) so was wondering if I asked them to write a key next step at the bottom of each learning story page - and record these on a PLOD ar beginning of learning story??

Has anyone got an updated PLOD which new areas of learning on before I make myself one?

I hope this is making sense - if anyone has any other ways they record next steps then I'd love to hear.

Thanks

KST

I am still doing PLODs. I don't write next steps on any observations or photos. At the end of a child's focus week, I will look through all the evidence gathered, then write a short summary of the child's interests, his/her learning progress for the 7 areas and a statement about the Characteristics of Learning.

I then create PLODs (suggested activities for the child's next steps) for the seven areas and the CoL.

My PLOD sheet is basically a grid with the 7 areas and 3 CoLs. I can upload it if you want to have a look.

• Like 3

Thank you! Good to hear you are still doing them, I feel they are very valuable so don't feel too bad if i suggest they continue them. I would love to see a copy of yours to compare to my original one if you don't mind. Thank you

I am still doing PLODs. I don't write next steps on any observations or photos. At the end of a child's focus week, I will look through all the evidence gathered, then write a short summary of the child's interests, his/her learning progress for the 7 areas and a statement about the Characteristics of Learning.

I then create PLODs (suggested activities for the child's next steps) for the seven areas and the CoL.

My PLOD sheet is basically a grid with the 7 areas and 3 CoLs. I can upload it if you want to have a look.

Hi, I would be really interested to see your way of mapping PLODS/Next Steps... I manage a pre-school and we have tried various formats over the last 3 years, these have all proved non efficient for one reason or another, often due to time constraints of working and documenting at the same time. If you have any filled out examples and how these are then transferred over to your planning weekly, I would be so grateful if you might share these also.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Millhill,

I would really like it if you could upload your PLOD sheet. This is an area we are trying to work on in our FS unit, most of the staff are new to the school and FS and I feel like it's the blind leading the blind what with trying to get my head round the changes we need to do!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Millhill,

As Jocrow I would be very grateful if you would share your PLOD sheet and how you use this to inform your planning. This sheet is new to me but it sounds as if it ticks lots of the needed boxes and is an area we are trying to change to run more smoothly and with as little paper work as possible.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)