Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Letter Of Complaint

thoughts from you good people on here.....

first full day of school - kids were on the go all morning and came in from lunch play from the field a bit wild. my job share put on Lazytown for ten mins for some 'down time'.

Earlier in the week (kids just mornings) we had been doing 'what our bodies are good at' and we had watched some of the 'sports day' clip at the start of the week - then threw ourselves into counting jumps, balancing etc

letter of complaint came in about watching tv......

:(

have we been told off justifiably?? your thoughts.

We use a range of different materials to encourage children to engage with stories these included dvd's, story CD's etc. We have found that some children need to access stories in different ways and we asked OFSTED for their advice on their last visit. They felt if it was being used in the same way as a story book it was fine.

No, not justifiable in my opinion.

Children learn in different ways and this is another medium that is available to you and them. As far as the "Lazy town" goes, its not one I'm familiar with but for some down time as you describe I think that is acceptable.

I do remember as a child though having the treat of watching Thunderbirds and being bored rigid so maybe, a book could be offered as an alternative if a child is really not interested?

I have often used the first part of the afternoon session as a quiet reading time, although quiet maybe difficult, to settle children. Is this possible?

would be interesting to know how much T.V the child of the complaint writer gets at home...fly on the wall and all that! :huh:

I think used in the right context to engage and then follow on with 'teacher stuff' is acceptable - watching Beauty and the Beast (or whatever is current!) all the way through is a different matter

did the letter say where they discovered their child had been watching t.v? - i.e has the child gone home and said 'all we did was watch t.v today' and this was the grounds for the complaint or had the context been explained to parents on collection and they were still disagreeable? Do you know the complainant?

as you can tell we make a point of telling parents when we have watched a 5 min video around something we're working on (doesn't happen often but we still feel 'guilty'!)

I agree that all children learn differently and sometimes ict and t.v is so embedded in children from home experiences that you have to work with this as a starting point in order to move it on and thus teach them other media can be just as exciting

we send home a letter at the end of the week saying what next week might cover - children's ideas, and we were going from them - favorite characters on tv 'our topic was loose but it was 'ourselves'. first watching was really linked in and planned, the second was not and i would imagine that it wouldn't have happened if OFSTEd had been there - perhaps that answers my own question! but it was there first whole day and it was felt that it was needed.

the parent is very known (this is the second complaint - first aimed at head) but i know its not going to be the last.

I am putting the tv on at the moment for about 10 mins with my reception class for a little bit of down time and also to allow my TA a comfort break and to grab a coffee and then we swap. Not joining the rest of the school for assembly, playtime or lunchtime for another few weeks and we are with them all the time so our days are very long and draining. We watch through iplayer and I usually put on Charlie and Lola or alpha blocks. Last year I had 2 children who used makaton so we watched 'something special' so that the children could pick up some signs. No one has ever complained about this.

Deb

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)