Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reading In Reception-Observation

My head teacher is coming into each class in a couple of weeks to observe a guided reading session for about 15 mins. I dont do guided reading until later in the year so am wondering what to set up! Any tips to make the reading area special and ideas about how I could set up a reading experience with a small group maybe???Please!!

Guest ChunkyMan

Sharing a familiar big book with a small group of children...talking about front cover, whats the book about, what sounds do they know, what is happening on this page, where do we start reading etc etc etc?

In my guided reading sessions in reception which I will start in a couple of weeks I will have things like listening centre, reading area, tracing, alphabet puzzles for children not working with an adult and then my TA does words and I read with a group. You could tell a story from a wordless book with your group or share a big book. My reading area has silver bean bags and a net canopy from ikea over it as well as a couple of ikea big leaves and loads of teddies to read to and a fluffy rug to lie on. I also put in there a story prop box each week with puppets/ toys/ laminates to tell a story which I model a the beginning of the week.

Good luck!

Deb

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)