Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Target Setting

Does anyone target set in their setting? In light of the new ofsted inspections we have been told that even in eyfs we have to set end of year tagets otherwise how will we know they have made progress.........oh give me strength.............Do you set targets and how do you do it?

Thank you for all of your replies. I have spent the past couple of years fighting 'target setting' but have been told this year I have to find a way of doing it. So for example in other key stages we baseline and say that they they are whatever P Level that they are and then we say what their end of year PLevel they will be. I have always said that I can't do this with my EYFS children as I don't know. I start to doubt myself and think am I wrong

I baseline them and they all have a learning journey packed with lots and lots of evidence of learning and good progress. I haven't had a child yet who hasn't thrived or had a parent who hasn't been thrilled at the progress they see. I have written evidence to say this when they put comments on reports etc. So when some assessment person says to my head 'Well how will you show good progress in EYFS if you don't set targets' makes me seeth or that i have to link all of their learning to their ieps -Maths, English, PSED.....ahhhhggghhh. However in the current climate of the new ofsted inspections, schools are really looking at assessment. Its all about data, data, data.

Rachael1820 - in schools it is very different to nurseries. i think we are probably much more accountable. I can't say 'all children in our setting are happy, settled, confident, self assured etc etc - for me that is good enough!!!!' .....despite I want to.

Edited by Aunt Sally

Hi we're a PDN and do target set using tracking from progress matters but the targets are setting targets relating to provision not children's acheivements....so every time we complete ob summaries the information is put on a setting tracker we look at the tracker and for instance see that PSRN(well mathematics now) is coming out low(could be for numerous reasons, e.g. lack of observations) we would look at how we could improve this area, for example extra training on how to promote PSRN, activities, experiences and resources available, how practitioners are encouraging, extending and supporting learning in this area, targeted observations, etc. We would then create an action plan for a period of time and review using the next ob summaries and samples of children's obs or obs made on practitioners engaged with children.....sorry if it makes sense a full day in uni has left me with a numb brain -_-

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)