Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Safeguarding...who Needs To Know?

Hey everyone, who should know about a child's background in terms of safeguarding issues......such as a child at risk of abuse??

Apart from the obvious management and the safeguarding Officer......Should key person and staff in the room they are in know ALL the details or that there is a safeguarding issue and they must closely observe and monitor the child's health and wellbeing, etc?? Should the whole staff team be informed even if they don't work with the child?? I'm getting really confused with procedures I don't agree with!

You have to be careful about Information sharing protocols - it's on a need to know basis with Safeguarding, as a rule I tend to as Safeguarding Officer/Manager share with my immediate Deputy ( so she knows the score if I'm not there) the issues and who to contact if unhappy about things, also make the Key Person for the child aware there is a safeguarding issue and extra vigilance is needed - also who to report to if concerned. I do not tell staff what has been discussed in case conferences, or with other professionals unless it has direct impact on the way a child needs to be cared for, and is stipulated in their plan, and sharing of any documents from these meetings is a definite no-no unless you have permission from the Chair of the meeting. All of the staff are aware of the children on child protection and child in need plans -for extra vigilance purposes, but unless key person they don't know why.

• Like 2

Thanks so much redjayne you have confirmed exactly what I thought I now have to highlight my concerns about this subject to the superiors.....not looking forward to that AT ALL :(

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)