Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Planning And Assessment For 2 To3yrs

Guest ann waez

Guest ann waez

Ive just taken over an existing private nursery and am ploughing through the paperwork ! :o I am a qualified teacher but have little experience with two year olds.We are booked on the Birth to Three matters course in mid September but in the meantime wondered if anyone has an assessment sheet they use with this age group?Thanks :)

Hello Ann! :)

Welcome and thank you for your first post, I'm sure you'll have many happy hours ahead of you here!

I work in a DN, mainly with the pre-school unit, which includes children from 2.5 to school age, will have a hunt round at work (including the toddler unit which takes the 1.5 - 2.5 children) and see what I can find that may be of interest to you - mainly we use an 'All About Me'-type book that we fill in together. Colours, shapes, 'cando' etc - if you see what I mean, but I'm sure we've got some more 'formal' sheets for our 6-monthly feedback to the parents. (Not that we don't feedback on a daily basis!!)

Sue :D

Oh I would love one of those please !Leave Mum a record sheet of what we have done during the day and any special moments/achievements.

Take photos.

Welcome from me too Ann,

We do similar to Sue R, our children start at age 2 yrs ( preschool). We also use the BTTM framework, the componants, as the focus for observations.

We write straight into the childrens files, any observed achievements, interests, developmental milestones ( in the context achieved), whether with or without support. The files are A4 pages with the componenet description and a blank space for comment. This means we don't have to re-write post-it notes etc. At planning meetings we use this info for next steps, what resources the children like to use, which ones they haven't accessed etc. At the end of each term we write a short report from these notes. And like Sue we talk to parents on a daily basis.

For some knowledge and skills we have a book with each childs name down the left side, then accross the top we have columns with, for example, shapes ( drawn) each time a child shows they can name or recognise the shape we tick in the relevant cell. We also use this for skills such as use scissors with support, without support, with paper, card, material etc. I do not particularly like tick lists because they don't show context, but they can be a useful tool to see at a glance which skills/knowledge are being achieved or more importantly missed.

Peggy

p.s. I am updating these tick formats and will be happy to attach when completed, in the the next couple of days.

Guest ann waez
Hello Ann!  :)

Welcome and thank you for your first post, I'm sure you'll have many happy hours ahead of you here!

I work in a DN, mainly with the pre-school unit, which includes children from 2.5 to school age, will have a hunt round at work (including the toddler unit which takes the 1.5 - 2.5 children) and see what I can find that may be of interest to you - mainly we use an 'All About Me'-type book that we fill in together. Colours, shapes, 'cando' etc - if you see what I mean, but I'm sure we've got some more 'formal' sheets for our 6-monthly feedback to the parents. (Not that we don't feedback on a daily basis!!)

Sue  :D

36356[/snapback]

Guest ann waez
:) Thanks , for your response if you can email me some example sheets that would be great,regards Ann

36625[/snapback]

Guest ann waez

:) Thanks Peggy that would be great if you could email an example of your sheets, regards Ann

Welcome from me too Ann,

We do similar to Sue R, our children start at age 2 yrs ( preschool).  We also use the BTTM framework, the componants, as the focus for observations.

We write straight into the childrens files, any observed achievements, interests, developmental milestones ( in the context achieved), whether with or without support.  The files are A4 pages with the componenet description and a blank space for comment.  This means we don't have to re-write post-it notes etc.  At planning meetings we use this info for next steps, what resources the children like to use, which ones they haven't accessed etc. At the end of each term we write a short report from these notes. And like Sue we talk to parents on a daily basis.

For some knowledge and skills we have a book with each childs name down the left side, then accross the top we have columns with, for example, shapes ( drawn) each time a child shows they can name or recognise the shape we tick in the relevant cell. We also use this for skills such as use scissors with support, without support, with paper, card, material etc.  I do not particularly like tick lists because they don't show context, but they can be a useful tool to see at a glance which skills/knowledge are being achieved or more importantly missed.

Peggy

p.s. I am updating these tick formats and will be happy to attach when completed, in the the next couple of days.

36397[/snapback]

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)