Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Theorists And Practice

I am in my 2nd year of Foundation degree and I think i'm experiencing a "senior moment."

I know the guidance is based on theories such as the importance of play= Vygotsky,

and that the National curriculum Piaget/differentiation/differing stages of development etc.

What I really need are some examples of how they apply in my setting (Year1/2)

Zone of proximal development and scaffolding is easy, we do it all the time.

Does anyone have any other ideas as how the CGFS and Nat. Curric are based on theories?

How do you put them into practice in your setting?

Hope this ramble is clear!!!

Hi there

For the sake of your course, you could think about what each curriculum is said to promote and then give examples of theorists, for example, CGFS is supposed to be 'hands on' and interactive and this would suggest Bruner and Vygostsky, but you could also suggest that this links to mastery and goodself esteem - Dweck - and is a format which can be used to support children's schema - Piaget and Chris Athey. You could also talk about smooth transition, I think Hilary Fabian has written on this,but can check for you if it doesn't pan out.

Moyles has written a lot on play and I think it's BIlton that's written the most on outdoor play, also linking in with CGFS. You could also look at the example of Reggio Emilia in realation to CGFS.

This is off the top of my head, hope it helps and do hope it makes sense!! Sorry, can't think of any NC links as have focussed on FS for last 6 months, but I think by focussing on the intent behind the curriculum you can pick out theorists and then also argue about whether what was intended is actually achieved through the way the curriculum is delivered - or not (if that fits with your essay!!?)!

Good luck

Kellsa

Edited by Guest

Hi

I am in my second year of the foundation degree too and really wish I had the time to compose a decent reply! At the moment I am up to my eyes in conceptual analysis of external and internal documentation relating to childrens rights and child protection - got an assignment due in on 19th and at the moment am walking in treacle so it seems!!

I have done the theories, we had to study Behaviourism, Constructivism and Socio culturalism, and how they influenced our practice. I work in a pre-school and follow the CGFFS and concluded that I did not solely subscribe to one theory but in fact adopted elements of all three. It was interesting stuff!!!

I looked at how each of the theories viewed the areas of 'knowledge' 'the learner/child' 'the role of others' and 'language' and compared them to my own views and practice bearing in mind my commitment to the CGFFS.

Very briefly examples off the top of my head in relation to language -the socio culturalists believe that language plays a fundamentally important role in children's learning and development. Constructivists make a clear distinction between language and thought and also beleive that learning can take place without language playing a part. Behviourists beleive that language has no special place but see it as just another form of stimulus.

Because curriculum guidance is open to interpretaion I think maybe it is a case of turning it on its head and looking at your practice, seeing which theories it reflects and that results in highlighting what you feel underpins your curriculum framework.

Hope this isn't too garbled will try harder when I have a bit more time!

Thank you both so much for your replies.

I just seemed as though I was getting bogged down with good old piaget and vygotsky and bruner.

I think my main problem is not working within the foundation stage.

I mainly work in year 5 and 6 but in sept due towork in y2.

It's hard to write how i put these theories into my practice when i'm not in the correct setting.

Just me panicking i suppose.

thanks again, you have given me a few imore deas

Stroll on september

Part of putting theory into practice will be based around Howard Gardners theroy of multiple intelligences - how children learn best. Personalised learning is a hot topic right now and Alastair Smith's work has influenced teaching approaches enormously. Multisensory approaches - visual, auditory, kinaesthetic. Brain gym etc.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)