Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Planning In Reception / Year 1

:o

Hi, can anyone help me? I've been teaching for 10 years and have had a mixed KS1 class for the last 5 but this year is different! I am taking early entry children with my reception and year 1 children and I 'm really concerned about the planning for play. What does a daily plan look like? How is the day organised?

Anne Br

Hi Anne,

Welcome to the forum. :) I am not a teacher so would struggle to answer your question. Since this is the middle of the holidays for most people there are not many people around at this time of year. Hopefully someone will be along soon to help you with your query. In the meantime I suggest you spend some time going through some of the previous threads and you might find some useful suggestions. :) The search facility is really good - you'll find the button at the top right of the page - hope this helps. :D

Just really sorry neither of us can really help as we're not teachers.

As Carol has said, there are a lot of threads about planning and daily structure - have fun!

Sue  :D

36374[/snapback]

Thanks! I will!!

What do you mean by early entry children???

I have had mixed year R/1 this past year and also will have the same- but a better split this year.

I have planned seperately for my year1s for all curriculum areas but around the same topic ish that my reception will be doing. However I have tried to plan for foundation stage type activities with lots of play and investigation. I also have the problem that as from week 5ish I will not have my year 1s in the morning for literact, numeracy and science, which makes it harder to try and give them contiuity and a day that goes together.

I would be interested to hear how you plan for a mixed ks class as I am aware i am creating lots of extra work for myself- but feel i need to do this to show that the children staying with me are getting the same entitlement as the other year1 children- complicated but lots of parental and school pressures.

L

Lorna

Your situation sounds simlar to mine. I will have R/Y1 anda few Y1s will be with Y2s. We are planning rough themes for R to Y2and sub-topics within for each year group. Again we have to look at curriculum entitlement for the Y1s (even though they have been split on level of need ). The planning will be simliar to yours, I think! Y1s planned using many QCA units, some adapted. R as we have done previously, using foundation curriculum, but it means that some Y1 will 'redo'jolly phonics as the need arises and there will be more play based experiences as many need lots of this still for their language and social, and some R will be able to work alongside Y1 to bring along language / social skills too. I haven't got the planning on paper yet- mostly floating around in my head. It will be hard because I have had Reception for thelast few years (I job0share 2.5days) and we have become much more flexible and changed day to day more this lasst couple of years. It won't be quite so easy wiht Y1s but I'm sure there will still be instances of this (or I hope so anyway!) Do you have separate planning sheets for your 3 year groups or an overlapping type one?

I am afraid i use seperate planning sheets for the two year groups- otherwise I felt that the Year 1 planning was tending to take a back seat and the children where not always experiencing what they should be.

There is just no easy answer with a mixed keystage class.

L

Hi, can anyone help me? I've been teaching for 10 years and have had a mixed KS1 class for the last 5 but this year is different! I am taking early entry children with my reception and year 1 children and I 'm really concerned about the planning for play. What does a daily plan look like? How is the day organised?

Anne Br

36289[/snapback]

Have you seen the NNS mixed age numeracy plans? Dont know if the NLS have produced something similar but I found this useful when I had a mixed class.

http://www.standards.dfes.gov.uk/primary/p...yr1_plan_pc.doc

nns_mixedage_yr1_plan_pc.doc

Anne Br

36289[/snapback]

Have you seen the NNS mixed age numeracy plans? Dont know if the NLS have produced something similar but I found this useful when I had a mixed class.

http://www.standards.dfes.gov.uk/primary/p...yr1_plan_pc.doc

nns_mixedage_yr1_plan_pc.doc

Edited by MARl0N

Lorna

Your situation sounds simlar to mine. I will have R/Y1 anda few Y1s will be with Y2s. We are planning rough themes for R to Y2and sub-topics within for each year group. Again we have to look at curriculum entitlement for the Y1s (even though they have been split on level of need ). The planning will be simliar to yours, I think! Y1s planned using many QCA units, some adapted. R as we have done previously, using foundation curriculum, but it means that some Y1 will 'redo'jolly phonics as the need arises and there will be more play based experiences as many need lots of this still for their language and social, and some R will be able to work alongside Y1 to bring along language / social skills too. I haven't got the planning on paper yet- mostly floating around in my head. It will be hard because I have had Reception for thelast few years (I job0share 2.5days) and we have become much more flexible and changed day to day more this lasst couple of years. It won't be quite so easy wiht Y1s but I'm sure there will still be instances of this (or I hope so anyway!) Do you have separate planning sheets for your 3 year groups or an overlapping type one?

36494[/snapback]

This year I had yr R, 1 and 2 in the mornings and also year 3s in the afternoon -planning was a nightmare!! I had a separate plan for reception and a joint one for the other year groups. This year, however, I will have reception and year 1 in the morning (10:5) and also 10 year 2s in the afternoon. I have spent much of the holiday so far trying to come up with a planning format that will include both year groups. I think I 'm nearly there!! My problem now is getting my head round how I am going to organise the day as my early entry children - ie youngest rec will go home at lunch time.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)