Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Planning Formats!

Hi all,

After posting what I thought was my finished weekly plan on here last week I am now having issues about whether or not it is actually usable! I originally had sections for each area of learning, and was going to put the DM's, activities, resources etc in each section- however after looking at my RE planning and noticing how several of the activities are linked with more than 1 area of learning I am now thinking it is not suitable.

I was wondering what you guys are planning on using as your weekly plan, and if you could be so kind as to attach them for me to have a look through?

Thanks in advance!

Lx

Hi,

I have attached 2 planning docs. A Maths and Theme, because as you say when it comes to the EYFS nothing is isolated!

Maths-Even though Maths is still cross curricular I think it is one of those subjects that needs skills teaching specifically. For the Maths I will do 2 on and 2 off Mon to Thurs. e.g. Mon-whole class input relating to counting to 10, then 1 group me and 1 group TA for about 10 mins counting. Tues-whole class input counting to 10 different activity but then the remaining 2 groups with me and TA counting. I plan on having 4 groups if possible, and the activities will be differentiated of course.

Theme- I haven't got a separate English as a lot of the objectives can be taught through a thematic approach. I will do daily 20 mins phonics in addition though. I will aim to have 3 carpet sessions in one day while I have 3 separate sessions (after break, after lunch, after break-but I will omit the last break for Reception after a few weeks-I am starting in a new school so I need to break the staff in gently!!) The carpet sessions will be linked to my topic. E.g. my first topic is Bears. So I will share read the story Goldilocks do some role play during the adult led sessions. Then my next whole class input might be on the feelings of the characters (PSHCE if you like). More adult led role play in groups until all are complete. The next whole class session might be on looking at how to make porridge. And it would go on like this throughout the week where I was covering the areas of the EYFS through a book. All my enhancements would be linked to goldilocks, e.g. porridge mixture in the investigation tray, mask templates in writing area, role play as the cottage, different sized bears in the constrution area, small bears in the dolls house, books on bears in the reading area, oats in the water etc etc.

I hope this helps

maths planning.doc

Theme Planning.doc

Edited by Guest

swilde1977- Thanks so much for your reply and your attachments. Totally agree about the maths, thats the one area I struggle to link into my topic, and as such tends to be separated from my topic more than the other areas. I love planning activities from a book, I think it's the best way to do it. Before I started at my current school they followed a literacy scheme of work- I absolutely hated it and soon changed it!

I tend to do activity plans, so that all the adults (and anyone else who may pop in from time to time) knows exactly what they are 'teaching'- it includes the LO, resources, Key questions, differentiation, Look listen and note for observations and also a grid at the back to note down who met/didn't meet or exceeded the LO. I am trying to find an overview for the week as it were, your theme planning looks very interesting, although the neat freak in me would probably try and have it all on one page!

I am trying to find an overview for the week as it were, your theme planning looks very interesting, although the neat freak in me would probably try and have it all on one page!

when I was in year one we did a similar kind of theme planning and we tried to put it all on one page and found it impossible, but like you we were neat freaks and really wanted it on one page. But we managed it with the Maths and phonics so we were very pleased with ourselves!

Ok, I have had another go at tweaking my plans, this is what I have come up with so far. Would welcome any comments/suggestions. I have made a weekly overview, this will show the DM, Whole class teaching and a brief description of activity. Following on from that is the continuous provision planning sheet for the different areas in the classroom. And then is my activity plan- I currently do activity plans for CLL/PSRN (as they were called!!) and my teaching assistants/KS1 co-ordinator love them. The only thing they don't include are the whole class inputs (hence the weekly overview)

weekly overview.doc

activity plan 2012.doc

These look great and easy to follow. The continuous provision sheet I would change to include enhancements in the title somewhere, if i am right in thinking that the plan if for what you would add weekly to each or most of the areas.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)