Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Where To Start . . . . . .

Hi all . . . . Well it'snearly over and I am attempting to get back into work mode . . . So far it's not really gone of plan!!! I'm trying to get my head around the new eyfs & to determine what implications this will have on planning, routines etc - my only ( well I say only!!) problem is that I am moving to a new school in sept and as such do not have a thorough understanding of what is currently in place & as such do not really know where to start .....As such I am feeling very under prepared for the start of the new term . . . Which in turn is making me feel anxious and completely out of my depth ( even though I have been teaching for 17 years & have been in the role of eyfs leader for a number of those!!!).

Any words of wisdom would be gratefully received today .... I really don't want to start the term on a low :((((

Hi there Fluffy,

I know how you must be feeling, I was feeling very overwhelmed by it all a few days ago. If it were me I would just do what I normally do each year before my new class start- some getting to know you activities, observations for baseline, maybe a few arts/crafts activities and then see where the children take you!

You say you have been teaching for 17 years, so you are clearly a very experienced teacher! I wouldn't worry too much about being in a new school and not knowing what they currently do, they have hired you for a reason- most probably your very clear knowledge on EYFS, so maybe they are wanting you to go in there and shake it up a bit?

What I have so far done (not sure if it is any use to you) is planned a few crafty activities, planned some circle time activities for discussing good behaviour and coming up with our class rules, planned for adults to model playing/learning in specific areas of the classroom/outside, take them on a tour of the school pointing out toilets (very important!) and where they will be eating their lunch etc, and then I will be doing observations of children in their child initiated play to get a feel for where they are in their learning journey, and we (the adults) will be there playing and interacting with them as we do. I will also be using the 30-50 Development matters as a rough guide for where I expect the children to be coming in at for the first half term and then will see where they all are (best fit) and plan accordingly for the following term.

Try not too worry, you will be fine! Just do your usual school prep and go in there with a big beaming smile.

Lx

• Like 1

Hi there Fluffy,

I too have been teaching for 17 years in various year groups but am due to start teaching reception for the first time next week! I have been very anxious about planning and read loads on this forum and others to get ideas etc. I must say that this forum in particular has been fab...so many kind, generous people sharing their plans, ideas and experienced wisdom!

I have spent quite a while sorting and sifting through resources to check what will be available to use and sorting areas in classroom. I have now sort of got my head round the planning although I think it will evolve throughout the year. I am starting with a 3 week block planned for baseline assessment (we use a booklet - not sure of its origin) and have timetabled various tasks alongside plenty of play, routine setting, observations and tour of the school.

If you would like a copy I could email it to you? I am not totally sure if I'm doing the right thing but feel happier with having a direction to follow for first few weeks. After that I should have a clue where the children are up to and where to go next...hopefully!!

Anyway, please don't feel obliged to have it...totally up to you.

Cheers and good luck, Rach x

PS. I would have downloaded it onto here but I am clueless as to how to do it!

Hello samkat. What you do to download something on here is.....next to the post button at the bottom of the box you write your message in is a box called ' more reply options'. Press that and then you can see the attach file button and I suppose you do just the same as you would with an e mail. Would be very interested to see your booklet too!

entry_booklet_reception1.docBASELINE ASSESSMENT TIMETABLE 2012.docEYFS ENTRY OBJECTIVES AND CODES GRID.doc

Awww, thanks dreamgirl...will now have a go!! This forum is bursting with such kind people who take the time to help others. I LOVE it!!

OK, the baseline booklet was just left in a pile of stuff passed on by previous teacher but I have seen it online on TES website I think...so hope it's ok to 'borrow' as it's not a published document just a very kind person posting up their own work. I am only using it as a guide really and as I said previous just to give me a focus for first few weeks as I settle the children (and myself!!!) into the class.

Right, here goes....will attempt attachment....(drum roll please!)

The 'entry objectives and codes' grid needs tweaking:(job for today) so that it refers to current DM but hope it all helps.

:rolleyes: x

hahaaha....looks like I'm organised...just don't fel it...and knowing what children are like I will probably be throwing the timetables out the window by Wednesday!! Looking forward to the challenge and will remember to have fun!!

Cheers

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)