Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Children Navigating Computers

I've been pondering for a while how I could help my children to access different software, online activities with more independence i.e. not being reliant on me or another adult finding something for them. Some are brilliant (such as one last year who regularly wanted to 'check his ebay!'), others aren't so much.

I also want to still give them choice but try to move them on from randomly choosing anything.

I had an idea and just wanted to run it past you. I'm not sure if I'm being too restrictive/obsessive!

I was thinking I could set up folders on the desktop for different areas e.g. maths, phonics, drawing. Then into each folder I could put links/shortcuts to relevant activities.

I could change the icon for each folder to a more relevant image than the default folder. Then I could say to them - for today/this morning etc. you can choose from the activities in the...folder.

What do you think? And, if you think it's an ok idea does anyone know how to change the size of icons so they are nice and large and visible?

does anyone know how to change the size of icons so they are nice and large and visible?

The size of an icon is usually pre-determined by the resolution of your screen.

I can't check right now as I am on Windows XP in the office but I think windows 7 has the option to increase icon size. I think, if you right click on the desktop it has the option icon size - small, medium, large. I don't know it is on all versions of windows 7.

The size of an icon is usually pre-determined by the resolution of your screen.

I can't check right now as I am on Windows XP in the office but I think windows 7 has the option to increase icon size. I think, if you right click on the desktop it has the option icon size - small, medium, large. I don't know it is on all versions of windows 7.

Thank you - I'll explore. I realised in the early hours of this morning that the laptop I'd been trying things out on has Windows 7 on and the computers in my classroom have Windows something else on on so I may leave further exploring until I'm back at school!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)