Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reception Teachers - First Weeks Planning

I was just wondering what everyones planning consists of for the first week or 2? Both activity plans and continuous provision planning?

We are mainly observing so there won't be much to write on plans, and we don't know the childrens interests as such yet.

We are due to be inspected any day so want to be getting this right!

I would be concentrating on rules and routines and other settling activities with a PSE base to encourage children to learn one another's names etc. Also quick and easy art work to get on the walls!

Hi

I plan lots of art and craft activities for the children in the first week. That way they can get to know eachother and it's also a perfect time for observations. I plan a large art display based on our class rules that are decided by the children. We do a lot of stories/songs and free play to allow the children to settle in and get to know their classroom/routines etc. I do put numbers/letter sounds in the sand or water tray amongst other things- its a great way to find out what they know!

I have found it's better to keep the first week calm and easy going as the children do become very tired quite quickly. Lots of getting to know you activities and games should do the trick.

Hope that has helped :1b

We plan around a nursery rhyme theme - lots of opportunities for observations and talking with children about investigations. Children come on a staggered entry and part-time so we keep things 'light touch' and revisit anything we cover later in the year, but really not teaching in any way!

Lots of fun and games and getting to know each other, parents involved as much as possible too, especially in knowing the boundaries and expectations of the setting.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)