Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Creating An 18M- 3Y Room....

ForestFlo

The nursery I work in has only been open for 11 months. Currently we have a Baby Room 3m-2y and preschool room 2y-4y. From September our numbers will have grown sufficiently to split our rooms further, we aim to be fexible and group according to development however the rough age split would be 3m-18m, 18m-3y, 3y-4y.

We will be very much starting from scratch with room layouts and provision etc, I feel at the moment we do have enough resources etc for the middle age group. So my question is what are your must haves in terms of provision, equipment etc for the 18m-3y age group.

I would love to hear your ideas and suggestions

Thanks

Kirsty

Guest sn0wdr0p

Hi Kirsty,

Sorry to answer with a question but....

Am I correct in interpreting that you intend to have children aged 18m-3y in one room. I wanted to mix 18m-36m in one room but was told this was not possible as under two year olds could not share a room with over twos but could mix with the older ones at times to ensure a smooth transition. When looking at the EYFS statutory requirements they also seem to confirm this.

Can you or any other of our wise members enlighten me please.

Many thanks,

Sn0wdr0p

We have been told by Ofsted to go by a child by child basis - they have said as long as we provide the correct ratios and the level of provision is developmentally appropriate then this is fine. Not all children willl move up at 18m some will not move until they are nearer 2, it will judged by where the child is at and what would most benefit them. Im sure there's been a discussion on this before on the forum. We feel it os much more beneficial to work flexibly with the children than say ok youre 2 now off you go to the next room (which is what we do at the mo - yet some children need so much more than we can offer in our baby room by 18m)

Kx

I have a babyroom where the babies stay from six months to fourteen months, if they are showing independance they then move to a family group. If they need a little more support they go to a small " nurture " group and then join a family group later, where they stay until they are nearly three. However all the staff work together to support each other and we have free flow so that all the children know all the staff and other children on the floor. We have been doing thids throughout the period of the EYFS and it's never been an issue.

It means that all though we have smaller playrooms the children have the opportunity to play and mix as they need, sometimes with other friends from their own " family" or friends from the other rooms.

The children at three join our preschool groups and yes occassionally some of the 30 month olds join the older ones . It all depends on their ability, apptitude and attitude.

Sometimes you have to stand your ground with both the LEA advisors and with Ofsted, but you know your children and what their needs are.

Guest sn0wdr0p

Thanks Kirsty and Ednaloy for that. I have my EYA in next week and I will sound her out on this.

Sorry to have hijacked your question Kirsty.

Our two to four year olds love our puppet theatre which we got a few weeks ago, both to watch shows and to do their own. I sit in my office next door listening to the children screaming with laughter. Loads of opportunities to get creative and for CLL.

Plus - plenty of space and resources for making dens, oh and some glow in the dark resources for inside them. You can also get some great pop up dark dens. I also have loads of pop up type dens, shops, post offices, cars etc which they love to create a town with but can easily be put away when they are bored with that and on to the next thing. They love to go round to tea parties at the neighbours!

Our science and discovery area includes the usual magnifying glasses, mirrors etc and some super wind up torches from ikea-the others always break.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)