Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

After School Care Managers

Does an after school club manager in a school that caters for EYFS have to be NVQ level 3 qualified?? I am assuming that by reading the quote In the welfare requirements " in groups all managers have to be qualified to NVQ level 3 and have 2 years experience..." means they do??

Just want to clarify.....

Guest sn0wdr0p

Yes Gem1

I own and manage an out of school club and I had to be a level 3 to manage the setting. When I first started way back I did not have two years experience in a setting (I had been a childminder at level 2 and had just achieved a level 3 when I set up the club) and I had to employ an experienced level 3 manager.

Hi snowdrop,

It does say you have to have ,'at least two years experience in an early years setting' but goes on to say,' or have at least two years other suitable experience'.

Do you think working as a childminder and running your own business would cover this? Not sure if this is a new to the new eyfs. I may be in the same position soon so quite interested in this .

Guest sn0wdr0p

Hi Gem,

Sorry to take so long to get back to you. I've been rather busy with my sons birthdays (it's a rather expensive time-three of them in ten days) so have missed my thrice daily forum 'fix'.

When I registered it was under the old national standards so it could be rather different now. I found the inspection team at Ofsted were fantastic and really helpful so it may be worth you sounding them out.

Six weeks after opening my manager left to take up a job she had applied for before starting with me and this really had the potential to cause some problems. Luckily one of my playworkers had a level 6 (although newly qualified with no experience) and Osted were happy for me to make her deputy and allowed me to then manage the setting. So maybe the team you have around you will make the difference .

Good luck and please let me know how you get on.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Snowdrop,

There are several members of staff that have either a level three or a qualified teachers status, so should be ok! I will let you know how it all goes..... thanks for the reply!