Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Phonics Groups

Interested in knowing how many children people have in groups for phonics in reception. Trying to organise my routine so we are all doing phonics at the same time but with a class of 30 with one TA and a teacher I'm not sure this is possible. Any thoughts?

Guest ChunkyMan

Are you a school with just 1 F2 class?

We have 2 classes of 30 with 2 teachers and 2 TA's with a 1-1 TA and another borrowed from BRP so we managed to have 6 groups all at different stages.

I think you have to beg, borrow and steal TA's as it's only for 20 mins a day. I think investing the time, energy and manpower early on can only have a positive impact later on.

Cx

In my school we teacher ERR/KRM and we teach the whole class together at the same time so we would have a class of 30 all doing phonics at the same time. My TA sits with us to support. It is differentiated in the lesson. It works we have fantastic results.

Hi at my school all of KS1, some Y3 and reception do phonics at the same time. (we are a 1 form entry school) each teacher and TA takes a phonics group enabling small groups of usually around 10. The TAs all plan for their group and are given time to do this. I keep reception all with me until about xmas and then we split them and my TA takes the less able and I go forward with Phase 3. Usually by about feb half term, I am beginning to feed some children into the other phonics groups taught by KS1 staff.

Deb

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)