Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Interview Lesson Help :)

hi all

I have an interview on friday for reception class teacher, there were over 50 applicants so i feel privelaged to be invited to interview :)

I have to deliver a stand alone literacy lesson to a group of 8 reception children of varying ability- based on a book or object.

I have chosen Handas surprise....going to read story, have real fruit ect. However the whole thing must last 15-20 mins, so after reading story im pushed for time, any ideas for an activity?? not sure how to differentiate either as only 8 children??

initial ideas are ; each child have a baslket template have to pretend taking fruit to their friend - draw fruit in basket and record the words/initial sounds? or each child have a piece of paper and draw a part of the story then all put together to make a collabartive book? or think of describing words for the fruit and i record on board....then have fruit hidden in magic bag and chn have to describe the fruity using good adjectives for others to guess.

Last idea much more of a speaking and listening focus, but writing would be modelled and chn could contribute their phonic knowledge? this is my favourite activity...is it ok to focus on s and l??? what do u think?

thanks in advance xx

Guest LornaW

Hi natashah what is your learning intention?

I think Handas Surprise is an overused book so I can't be of much help. I would go for something really new that the children may not have encounter yet there are some ideas here http://www.redhousechildrensbookaward.co.uk/shortlist/index Then if your learning intention is for Language for Thinking as you read through in volve the children in reflecting and anticipating what will come next. Finally they could say what / who they liked best in the story.

You will find that 15 - 20 minutes will go very quickly.

Lorna

I do handa's surprise as a storytelling text where we learn the story by heart with actions and spend a couple of weeks doing lots of activities based around it. If i was doing an interview lesson observation, I wouldn't even attempt writing especially in 15-20 mins and would instead focus on drama/talk. I would tell the story rather than reading it from the pictures getting children to act out the story as i went with 8 children you could have 1 being Handa and the other 7 being animals. Twinkl do masks from the story that you could use as props and you could take in a basket and the fruit and fabric to wrap round the child being Handa. Lorna is right though, it is a very well used book in schools along with the hungry caterpillar so the children are highly likely to have come across it before. Re the prop idea- I did an interview once and took a box that I'd decorated which had inside some 'magic glasses' (again highly decorated-think dame edna!) I spun a story about being woken up by some giggling early in the morning and then finding these glasses in the garden and they had a tag on the which said 'put them on and you will see the world around you very differently' we then talked about who they were from etc and then we took turns putting them on and pretending that they were magic and we could see different things through them. I sat the children in a circle and they described what they saw to each other (what they came out with was fab!) I got the job and the glasses were such a hit that the school asked if they could keep them for the rest of the day so that all the teachers to have a go with them with their class!!

Deb

Guest LornaW

Re the prop idea- I did an interview once and took a box that I'd decorated which had inside some 'magic glasses' (again highly decorated-think dame edna!) I spun a story about being woken up by some giggling early in the morning and then finding these glasses in the garden and they had a tag on the which said 'put them on and you will see the world around you very differently' we then talked about who they were from etc and then we took turns putting them on and pretending that they were magic and we could see different things through them. I sat the children in a circle and they described what they saw to each other (what they came out with was fab!) I got the job and the glasses were such a hit that the school asked if they could keep them for the rest of the day so that all the teachers to have a go with them with their class!!

Deb

Wow Deb that sounds like a great idea do you mind if I share it on some of my training?

As for glasses look at these my son made them for my 60th birthday party but they are too big to wear as they are 6'x3'!

post-9053-0-81203700-1337103139_thumb.jpg

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)