Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

End Of Term Activities.

I feel so upset for the children whose parents can't attend end of term celebrations. We always notify parents of end of term activities at the beginning of term by giving out news letters and displaying the notice on our board but 2 children were upset that their parents were uable to attend. One forgot and insisted it was taking place on Friday and the other one just collected their child making no comment !!!!!!!

I agree Bubblejack: its very sad for those children concerned.

We also hold mid-term and end of term events for parents to attend with their child, and we've had the situation where one child was the only one not to have his mum there. Its hard not to be judgemental in these situations: especially when you subsequently find out that mum was at home and didn't think it was important for her to be there!

We try to have a fall back plan in case this happens (and we have become quite expert at identifying those children whose parents might not turn up!). But no matter what steps you take to make the child feel included or special, they inevitably realise they are the only child with no special adult with them.

The negative effect on their self-esteem can only be guessed at, and I do think it is important to get this message across to parents in ways that are non-judgemental and do not make the parent feel singled out.

There may be many reasons why parents don't show up for these events, and they may have nothing to do with how they feel about the setting or their child. Depression, acute shyness or low self-esteem are all reasons I've come across with individuals I've known professionally and personally.

And I must confess that I have been that parent who has snuck in during proceedings: late because I've developed the knack of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Maz

Would you differentiate between those who don't come and those who genuinely can't? For instance, we're increasingly seeing a few families where one or both parents work away a lot, and occasionally the children stay with a childminder overnight.

I thought I would ask the parents this term as to how they would like to be notified of events, as some ALWAYS seem to deny any knowledge.

So thiis term I put a BIG poster on main door, another poster on parent board, letters in all draws and stood at door and announced. 3 parents still denied all knowledge. When I showed them the posters they claimed someone must have either been stood in front of them or I had only just put them up, someone else muist have taken the letter out of the draw and they musn't have been there when I announced very loudly 5 times at the door.

I would give up if it wasn't for the children.

Net x

:oxD:(

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)