Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ducklings

michaelle

post-2760-1121710184_thumb.jpg2 of our 3 duck eggs hatched over the weekend. There has been such excitment in reception class today. My daughter had the good sense to do a bit of fliming of the 'hatch' so the children have watched it on my whiteboard this morning. Then the ducklings were presented 'ta da'

Isnt nature wonderful? We are keeping them for a week before they are returned to the farm. :D

They are so cute Michaelle-did you get them locally? I know there is a farm in the Stockport area that you can get chicken eggs from and an incubator but I didn't know you could get duck eggs.

Linda

Linda, I got the duck eggs from Reddish Vale School Farm. I have had chicks in the past but never ducks. If you ever want the loan of the incubator give me a shout. It is only a small one holds about 8 eggs. Takes ducks about 28-30 days to incubate.

Thanks Michaelle that would be really useful. We are thinking about our topics for next year at a staff meeting tomorrow and I would quite like to do growing next summer. We have had great success with our butterflies, first time we have done it and 8 out of the 10 caterpillars have changed into butterflies. So I would love to take it one step further.

Linda

Wow!! That's fantastic - just the sort of thing that children remember for the rest of their lives. On my final teaching practice I got some baby chicks from a farm and the children were sooooo excited. But I've always shied away from trying to hatch them as my daughter had a bad experience in reception when their chicks failed to hatch ... the teacher opened one of the eggs and the partly formed chick was inside :o I think they'd had problems with the incubator.

But your story sounds a great experience. Maybe I need to reconsider.

Harricroft

Double wow!

Sadly, I don't suppose its a viable option for a pre-school when we have to pack away everything at the end of the day. "Unless," in the words of Esther Rantzen, "you know different".

But what a fantastic experience for the children to have.

I wonder how many children's families turned vegetarian after the ducklings made their appearance?

Maz