Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ncma 'individual Inspection Matters' Campaign

Guest lucyevans

Guest lucyevans

Individual Inspection Matters Campaign - the NCMA is ALL childminders to write to their MP to try and prevent the goverments proposal to move away from individual inspections towards either group inspections via networks or agencies (ie. childminders would no longer be self-employed) - more info on MyNCMA and there's a short survey to complete to gather everyone's views http://www.surveytool.com/s/S7CA07527B

• 5 weeks later...

This is a very worrying debate. Our local group of childminders has invited our MP to attend our drop-in at the Children's Centre. We are concerned about how funding via Childcare vouchers, Early Years free entitlement, Childcare tax credits etc will continue without an individual Ofsted number. We are worried that Good and Outstanding childminders will be brought down to the level of the lowest common denominator in an agency - how will that encourage quality improvement? Also, the thought of an agency taking a percentage cut of what we bring in is scary - I would rather pay Ofsted 4 times what I do now if that is how much it costs them to inspect my setting. Nearly all my customers come by word of mouth, though having the Ofsted registration and inspection grade reassures parents. I have never had customers coming via the many websites/agencies I advertise on apart from 1 from the Local Authority list.

If I did manage to care for more children, I can't see why I would charge less per child! I already earn less than the minimum wage.

Better stop ranting, but please do write that letter to your MP!