Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help Needed With Phonics

Help! We hit on a problem this week when clapping children's names using syllables. Normally I don't have a problem but I had one child, lets say he's called 'Joel'. I would do one clap for this but several children in the room instinctively used 2 - Jo-el. Is there a right or a wrong way. Clearly there are regional variations too. I have come across this before with another child and would love to know what you would do.

I would ask the child in question to say their name and go with that.

You can encounter similar problems with emphasis such as Charlotte - is it Sharlut to rhyme with scarlet or Shar lot?

Michelle can be miSHELL or MEEshell

Definitely ask the child for their preferred name - we have a Joseph who changes weekly as to whether he wants to be called Joey or Joseph.... :o

Definitely two claps! Consecutive syllables are marked by a change in shape of the mouth when speaking them. So Joel would be Jo-el.

I too would do 2 claps but some people do pronounce it Jole don't they?

I decided to experiment with this today as I'd never noticed the syllables only the intonation...

I found that Nich-o-las was nich-las to quite a few!

Chlo-e was ch-lo-e to a few

but my fave wqas Em-i-ly that became E-e-e-e-mi-ly-y-y-y because she was trying to have the name with the most claps!!

Thanks for your replies! Its good to know that I'm not the only one who, despite years of working in Nursery, still find things I'm not sure about!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)