Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Elg's, Nns & Nls

Does anyone use the NLS and NNS in conjunction with ELG's to plan and if so HOW do you do it? I'm really struggling to write everything I need to in my planning.

As a FS teacher, I tend to work from the ELGs. The only time I use NNS is when I use the 'Mathematical Activities for the Foundation Stage' resource pack, but even then I refer to ELGs in my planning (perhaps I should be cross-referencing? :o )

Surely they are designed to be used independently of one another. That said, I think we probably instinctively use aspects of NNS and NLS in our teaching, e.g. by referring to the 'front cover' when reading a story etc.

Our nursery and reception classes use the FS curriculum guidance as a basis and in our planning identify the learning opportunities/objectives based on the stepping stones and aspects.

We then use all the other DfES publications for support and ideas. e.g. PIPs, Developing Early Writing, NLS medium term planning, Mathematical Activities for the FS, the Learning & Teaching ICT resource pack and the FS toolkit.

Our nursery and reception classes use the FS curriculum guidance as a basis and in our planning identify the learning opportunities/objectives based on the stepping stones and aspects.

We then use all the other DfES publications for support and ideas. e.g. PIPs, Developing Early Writing, NLS medium term planning, Mathematical Activities for the FS, the Learning & Teaching ICT resource pack and the FS toolkit.

34860[/snapback]

Hi Angela,

FS Toolkit? - is this something new i have never heard of or seen it - may be because our EY co-ordinator is off on long term sick but i am intriguied!

Does anyone else use the Medium term plans fo rliteracy and how do you find hem - i downloaded them this time last year but i have never had the time to look at them - times flies when your having fun!!! (or doing the work of 2 people!!!) - are they much use? couldn't seemto mak much sense of them first time i looked - maybe that is another job for the summer holidays????/

The Foundation Stage Toolkit is very new, issued in May, I think and is a set of about 6 DVDs. I think you should find it in your school so do ask.

I think you should be planning against the curriculum document, ie: ELGs as this is statutory and neither of the others are. NNS and Maths Development goals match so you shouldnt have too much trouble including that within your planning. If your school requires you to indicate what you are covering re NLS then this is not impossible but terminology of NLS is not so user friendly!!

I overcame this by indicating within my medium term planning how Goals matched to NLS and the planned to ELGs in my short term plans. Remember also that the communication goals are not included in NLS so you are actually covering far more to plan against ELGs.

Where can we get the FS toolkit from ? Is it DfES or QCA???  Not heard about it !

35031[/snapback]

It's DfES ref: 1198-2005GCDI

Edited by Guest

Hi everyone

The ELGs are the key numeracy objectives

The ELGs are in line with the literacy objectives - so why plan from both. Use NNLS/ Playing With sounds as 'dip in' documents to support your planning using the CGFS (Pink 'Bible')

LGM

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)