Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Eyfs/y1 Application Help

Hi all

I am about to apply for a full time job in a mixed EYFS/Y1 class in a small school. I would really appreciate advise on completing a Personal Statement. My main concern is putting something in about teaching a mixed aged class because at the moment I have a class of 30 EYFS children. I have worked at the school for 19 years but only taught for 4, so it should be obvious why I want a change! Am I mad moving to a small school? Please any advise would be great.

Thank you

Brownie

Nothing on an application should be obvious!

Your personal statement should address the person specification.

Small schools can be great but the workload/ curriculum responsibilities are likely to be heavier than in a bigger school.

I am happy to proof read for you. PM me.

Good luck.

Hi there. As Susan said, the personal statement needs to match the person spec. Unless its stated in that that you need to have mixed age experience, then I wouldn't worry too much about that. You can write about wanting the challenge that working with a mixed age class would bring, or wanting to extend your range of experience. Your 19 years in one school shows that you are likely to be committed to the school and the 4 years as a teacher shows you are interested in your own professional development.

Good luck with it, its a good idea to get someone to proof read your application, so Id certainly consider taking up Susan on her offer.

Nothing on an application should be obvious!

Your personal statement should address the person specification.

Small schools can be great but the workload/ curriculum responsibilities are likely to be heavier than in a bigger school.

I am happy to proof read for you. PM me.

Good luck.

Thank you that is really kind of you! You've got me thinking...heavier workload, it's hard enough as it is. The morale at the school I'm at is so low not just teaching staff, so really wanted a fresh start.

Hi there. As Susan said, the personal statement needs to match the person spec. Unless its stated in that that you need to have mixed age experience, then I wouldn't worry too much about that. You can write about wanting the challenge that working with a mixed age class would bring, or wanting to extend your range of experience. Your 19 years in one school shows that you are likely to be committed to the school and the 4 years as a teacher shows you are interested in your own professional development.

Good luck with it, its a good idea to get someone to proof read your application, so Id certainly consider taking up Susan on her offer.

Thank you so much, really great ideas! It doesn't say essential for mixed age experience and yes I do needa challenge. Yes I'm going to take up her offer, only seen the advert today so am trying to get school bits done then I can focus on application form.

Go for it! I am now teaching in a small school in a mixed class, and love it. Really investigate the school ethos and try to tick all their boxes.

Best bits for me are following my own instincts and working with a smaller number of children. Yes, there is more responsibilty but always someone to help discuss things with.

Good luck :o

hi having previously worked part time 3 days a week in a 4 class school and having responsibility for 4 areas, I would stick to the larger school myself as the workload was huge!!. But if things are not good where you are and you've visited the school and it feels right then go for it. In my personal statement which I have done differently for each school I have ever applied for based on the info they have given you I have the following paragraphs:

why I am applying,-locality, year group etc

previous experience-linked in with what they are asking for. If you havn't taught mixed age before, bang on about KS1 experience and how you differentiate and meet the needs of children in your class.

curriculum strengths and what you could offer the school clubs etc

teaching style-behaviour expectations, how you plan, what is your classroom like

teamwork-working with other members of staff, easy to work with etc

school as community-how you will contribute to the wider life of the school

One thing I always do is if they have sent a job description or have an advert, I highlight the adjectives of what they are looking for and make sure that I use these words in my letter. Eg if they have asked for a dynamic, enthusiastic teacher then I will use these words (always works for me!) My letter is usually no more than 2 sides of a4. I would say always always visit the school and use what you have seen/heard in your application and thank them at the end of the letter for their time in showing you around. I know of heads who simply don't interview anyone who hasn't been for a visit.

good luck

Deb

Go for it! I am now teaching in a small school in a mixed class, and love it. Really investigate the school ethos and try to tick all their boxes.

Best bits for me are following my own instincts and working with a smaller number of children. Yes, there is more responsibilty but always someone to help discuss things with.

Good luck :o

Thanks, that has helped reassure me! Have downloaded their ethos and will look at that carefully. :-) x

hi having previously worked part time 3 days a week in a 4 class school and having responsibility for 4 areas, I would stick to the larger school myself as the workload was huge!!. But if things are not good where you are and you've visited the school and it feels right then go for it. In my personal statement which I have done differently for each school I have ever applied for based on the info they have given you I have the following paragraphs:

why I am applying,-locality, year group etc

previous experience-linked in with what they are asking for. If you havn't taught mixed age before, bang on about KS1 experience and how you differentiate and meet the needs of children in your class.

curriculum strengths and what you could offer the school clubs etc

teaching style-behaviour expectations, how you plan, what is your classroom like

teamwork-working with other members of staff, easy to work with etc

school as community-how you will contribute to the wider life of the school

One thing I always do is if they have sent a job description or have an advert, I highlight the adjectives of what they are looking for and make sure that I use these words in my letter. Eg if they have asked for a dynamic, enthusiastic teacher then I will use these words (always works for me!) My letter is usually no more than 2 sides of a4. I would say always always visit the school and use what you have seen/heard in your application and thank them at the end of the letter for their time in showing you around. I know of heads who simply don't interview anyone who hasn't been for a visit.

good luck

Deb

Thanks Deb you have given me a great deal to think about!! x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)