Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

The Dreaded Planning

Just looking for other peoples views on planning.

With so much conflicting advice on what to do I am now beginning to question how we plan.

We were advised that a long term and medium term plan is no longer necessary so we did away with these. We now plan for the children i.e at a planning meeting each week , each keyperson selects 4 of their key children to concerntrate on and activities are planned around them. We also adapt role play etc to the children's interests which comes from staff writing these on a central sheet during the week along with certain events or things that may have happened in a child's week.

We have a weekly planning sheet showing continuous provision and childrens initials are added for particular acitives and creative activies are shown.

We cover festivals and celebrations but apart from issuing a termly newsletter detailing these to the parents and a sheet in our planning fold we do not display a medium term plan.

We carry out an adult focused activity each day these include key activiites planned for key childre, large/small group circle time. we have a sheet for each on each one and evaluate and cascade achievements to the childs profiles.

What the team are questioning is that now we seem to be more child led. the children seem to be getting the same toys out each day as ours are all available in draws accessable to children as now requested! I have said that if they are observing the children correctly then interests should be noted and activities and resources adapted but they are saying that the chidren are not always showing different interests!!! . Tey are saying that when we had a particular theme is was easier to think of resources and activities based around that theme!.

Awhat I am asking is how do you all do it? Does anyone else feel the same having moved away from more structured termly and weekly themes. Any comments would be appreciated.

i think you have it right planning for childrens interests is key (i think) and if they choose the same resourses then thats fine its what floats their boat at the minute it will change as weeks go by. what your staff need to do is engage in their play and enhance their interests by adding bit to the resourses that the chidren are using.

We are a packaway so cannot have all our stuff out. children choose from a box of photo's for the following week they also know that they can ask for something to be got out of the cupboard.......marble run has been on our choosing trolley since September but they love it and the child who choose it is not neccessarily the one playing with it now.#

any how stick with it and have fun

Just looking for other peoples views on planning.

With so much conflicting advice on what to do I am now beginning to question how we plan.

We were advised that a long term and medium term plan is no longer necessary so we did away with these. We now plan for the children i.e at a planning meeting each week , each keyperson selects 4 of their key children to concerntrate on and activities are planned around them. We also adapt role play etc to the children's interests which comes from staff writing these on a central sheet during the week along with certain events or things that may have happened in a child's week.

We have a weekly planning sheet showing continuous provision and childrens initials are added for particular acitives and creative activies are shown.

We cover festivals and celebrations but apart from issuing a termly newsletter detailing these to the parents and a sheet in our planning fold we do not display a medium term plan.

We carry out an adult focused activity each day these include key activiites planned for key childre, large/small group circle time. we have a sheet for each on each one and evaluate and cascade achievements to the childs profiles.

What the team are questioning is that now we seem to be more child led. the children seem to be getting the same toys out each day as ours are all available in draws accessable to children as now requested! I have said that if they are observing the children correctly then interests should be noted and activities and resources adapted but they are saying that the chidren are not always showing different interests!!! . Tey are saying that when we had a particular theme is was easier to think of resources and activities based around that theme!.

Awhat I am asking is how do you all do it? Does anyone else feel the same having moved away from more structured termly and weekly themes. Any comments would be appreciated.

Yes, I feel the same as you. I am an F1 Teacher with 26 children, me and an NNEB, We are still under the school umbrella and as such have to produce Medium Term Plans and Long Term Plans, however, in reality I hardly ever stick to them and go with the children's interests linked in with their next stage on the Early learning Goals. Ours tend to get the same resources out, and thinking about it, I think I need to rotate our resources around, offer them less at a given time but rotate these. I think the photos are a great idea, I think I will follow this through like a visual time table, The children can then use these as prompts when deciding what to have out.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)