Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Overseas Lesson Observation

Hi

I have recently been told i have a job interview for an overseas job for a year R class in an English school.

For my lesson observation I have to do a 30 min lesson to a class of year R children. I have no other brief regarding subject or lesson matter - just lesson that plays to my strengths and that can be evidenced in the fact the children have learnt something. I am finding this so wide I do not have an idea where to start. I do not know what resources are available in terms of whiteboard/ability of children, if Ta is to be involved. I am more comfortable teaching literacy but whatever resources I take need to be able to fit in a suitcase along with my interview suit and toothbrush!

Any intial ideas to get me thinking would be greatly appreciated not used to such a wide brief. I was thinking maybe a story to begin with and then some group activities that could be fairly independent but purposeful as to my way of thinking 30 mins is to long to stay carpet based, to finish with a plenary.

Any thoughts - pretty please

Hi

I have recently been told i have a job interview for an overseas job for a year R class in an English school.

For my lesson observation I have to do a 30 min lesson to a class of year R children. I have no other brief regarding subject or lesson matter - just lesson that plays to my strengths and that can be evidenced in the fact the children have learnt something. I am finding this so wide I do not have an idea where to start. I do not know what resources are available in terms of whiteboard/ability of children, if Ta is to be involved. I am more comfortable teaching literacy but whatever resources I take need to be able to fit in a suitcase along with my interview suit and toothbrush!

Any intial ideas to get me thinking would be greatly appreciated not used to such a wide brief. I was thinking maybe a story to begin with and then some group activities that could be fairly independent but purposeful as to my way of thinking 30 mins is to long to stay carpet based, to finish with a plenary.

Any thoughts - pretty please

What about something physical with music that develops gross and fine motor skills for writing like Write Dance, Squiggle while you Wiggle or Dough Disco. As you don't know the children not their abilities this type of activity could lead into some drawing or writing or shared writing. 30 minutes is not long really!

I have just bought this book and it is great with loads of brilliant ideas for physical activities.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Finger-Gym-Develop...8601&sr=8-2

Lorna

The Amazon review sounds great, Lorna, thanks for that. Is it suitable for all ages as that reviewer suggests?

Yes Susan it is. I have been on training with Dolya who has co-written the book and she is brilliant. The book is just crammed full of ideas for children from babies upwards. Lots of it common sense but I have found it just reminds me to go back to some activities!

Lorna

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)