Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ideas Growth And Change Especially Role Play

Hi all,

I am new to Reception this year and we are planning a topic on Growth and Change next half term. I have some ideas but was wondering if anyone had any things that they have done that have worked well, especially for role play (it has been suggested that I improve this area) and outdoor provision (we are putting in vegetable beds hopefully!).

Many thanks in advance

h

Can you visit a garden centre, then set up your role play area as a garden centre? (preferably outdoors) The children can make flowers easily with tissue paper as well as vegetables etc.

Or a baby clinic, weighing and measuring baby dolls.

Life cycles are good for this topic. You can get caterpillars which turn into butterflies from Insectlore or eggs into chicks from Livingeggs. We did frogspawn last year and watched them turn into tadpoles/froglets...not sure when frogspawn is laid though.

Perhaps you could turn your role play area into the Hungry Caterpillar scene with props and dressing up.

Jasper's Beanstalk is also a good story, or Jack and the beanstalk can also be turned into a role play with giant sized props and the children can help to make the beanstalk.

Edited by millhill

Hi there, I am a nursery practitioner and we are starting next half term with the theme New life/ growth. I have organised having live eggs to hatch in the classroom. All staff are very excited and the children should get loads of learning from the experience! you could try that!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi there, I am a nursery practitioner and we are starting next half term with the theme New life/ growth. I have organised having live eggs to hatch in the classroom. All staff are very excited and the children should get loads of learning from the experience! you could try that!

We have ordered the same last year but not sure when they are due to arrive! Fingers crossed for this half term! I saw one hatch last year and I swear it was something that I will never forget! Sigh!! Lol!

Can you visit a garden centre, then set up your role play area as a garden centre? (preferably outdoors) The children can make flowers easily with tissue paper as well as vegetables etc.

Or a baby clinic, weighing and measuring baby dolls.

Life cycles are good for this topic. You can get caterpillars which turn into butterflies from Insectlore or eggs into chicks from Livingeggs. We did frogspawn last year and watched them turn into tadpoles/froglets...not sure when frogspawn is laid though.

Perhaps you could turn your role play area into the Hungry Caterpillar scene with props and dressing up.

Jasper's Beanstalk is also a good story, or Jack and the beanstalk can also be turned into a role play with giant sized props and the children can help to make the beanstalk.

Thanks for those brill ideas, have booked a garden centre visit now but unfortunately we left it too late to order the caterpillars so we have ordered them but they will arrive after easter. Still good though! We are going to start with the Hungry Caterpillar and then maybe do Jasper's Beanstalk, we did Jack and the beanstalk this half term for traditional tales so it should link nicely!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)