Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Role Play Area

I'm thinking of changing one of my topics next year in order to ensure we give other cultures and beliefs a higher profile rather than just paying a passing glance and it being rather bitty. Thing that puts me off is trying to decided what to do for the role play area. I would be doing it Autumn 2 so could do Christmas - either stable or Santa's grotto from December, but would need something for the beginning of the term. Has anyone got any ideas that wouldn't take too long to set up/dismantal given all the other things that would be going on?

Harricroft

What about setting it up as a home that celebrates Divali? You could have fairy lights and clay divas; rangoli patterns outside the 'door', a table filled with lots of lovely food (samosas, chapatis, etc) these could be made in salt dough or plastecine. You could have a box of wonderfully bright sari material for dressing up and some Indian music playing in the background. Eid is also around this time too. We've also done a Chinese restaurant at Chinese New Year.

If you want to grotto what about thinking about how other countries celebrate Christmas and the different names for Santa?

hope this helps

have fun

I was going to say Divali too - but was going to suggest dressing up nad props to act out the story...

How about Thanksgiving? You could do a boat to be hte Mayflower or camping to take in the Native American aspect of hte story.

Hannukah... again there is a story

TBH I'd be inclined to set it up with fairy lights and a table and chairs and lots of party 'food' and props so they can 'do' whatever festival they like. There is a stepping stone about using available props for role play so if you provide enough possibilities for festival play it'd be great to see what the children did with them.

Thanks for the ideas - isn't it great that we can help each other out :D Some really brill ideas - need to talk to my nursery nurse now (and break the news gently that we might not be having the firemen visiting this year :o

Any other ideas would still be welcome.

Harricroft

:o How could you deprive her of the firemen??????

MEANY!

I'm sure it's National Fireservice Day in December and you should celebrate it.... xD

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)