Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New Curriculum For Y1

Hi,

After, a rather long day at uni on wednesday, in the module route specific - foundation, our lecturer briefly mentioned that there are to be radical changes to the year 1 curriculum. After a brief disscussion on this, yes the concept of this (making it more play based instead of structured teaching) is one that i personally would like with open arms. However does anyone know more about the content of it and when its comming into force?

Jo :o

• 2 weeks later...

Hi J-Bo,

It's very early days and there are no definite dates for extending the FS into year 1, but I think most professionals in the early years are convinced that that day is coming! We all look to Wales to see how things are going there; you are probably aware that the FS has been extended into Key Stage 1 throughout Wales. Exciting stuff :D

It will be wonderful if this happens. In my school PLAY has become a 'four letter' word which no one mentions after Reception. The problem is that our education system is thwarted with the need to collect and present evidence of children's achievements in graphs and charts etc. I have actually been asked how I was going to present the 'value added' of each child's and the whole class' play skills in this way. Unfortunately our senior management team are all from higher stages of KS2 and are so focused on target setting, and SATS results in English, Maths and Science that they lose sight of the fact that they are not only teaching children but nurturing them too at the very least be able to interact with other children, share equipment, and be able to listen to some one elses ideas or points of view.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)